bringa

Retaining everything in the memory

17 posts in this topic

I have an exam, there are a heck of things that I need to read and retain to clear that in a short period of time. It's a memory-based exam. How could I read fast and retain everything?

Hope my question was direct. Please try to give me practical and straight forward answers that would meet my requirements.

read the attention revolution, moon walking with Einstein, and what smart students know

Anki can be useful

Be-Do-Have

There is no failure, only feedback

@Raze Thanks. These books are new to me.

@Ulax Hmm, flashcards doesn't fit well with me. But, I believe it could be powerful tool for practice for others.

1 hour ago, bringa said:

@Ulax Hmm, flashcards doesn't fit well with me. But, I believe it could be powerful tool for practice for others.

Fairs dude. The book 'Make it stick could be useful too'. Also, i second Raze's suggestion of 'What smart students know'

Be-Do-Have

There is no failure, only feedback

Cool I'll check them out

On 4/17/2024 at 8:07 PM, bringa said:

I have an exam, there are a heck of things that I need to read and retain to clear that in a short period of time. It's a memory-based exam. How could I read fast and retain everything?

Hope my question was direct. Please try to give me practical and straight forward answers that would meet my requirements.

This way of thinking will not get you to where you want to be.

Operating on First Principles will allow you to ace that test you are speaking of.

Goodluck!

• Feminist 

On 4/22/2024 at 11:51 AM, Ulax said:

Fairs dude. The book 'Make it stick could be useful too'. Also, i second Raze's suggestion of 'What smart students know'

All marketing rhetoric. Doesn't work.

• Feminist 

1 minute ago, MAHAVATAR_-_BABAJI said:

This way of thinking will not get you to where you want to be.

Operating on First Principles will allow you to ace that test you are speaking of.

Goodluck!

First Principles? 

Why did the snake need glasses? Because it had a reptile dysfunction!

Posted (edited)

Modafinil, Noopept, Sulbutiamine, Vinpocetine, Alpha-GPC and Caffeine would be a basic nootropic stack I would suggest to significantly improve your short-term/working memory on demand.

Edited by Nilsi

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

6 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

Modafinil, Noopept, Sulbutiamine, Vinpocetine, Alpha-GPC and Caffeine would be a basic nootropic stack I would suggest to significantly improve your short-term/working memory on demand.

If you are interested, we can talk about dosages for your specific situation.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

Also, basics like getting a good night's sleep, being well-hydrated, and eating a healthy, filling meal (preferably lots of vegetables, legumes, some good fats, and some quality animal protein, if that is congruent with your ethical framework) a couple of hours before your test will go a long way.

Posted (edited)

Only allow yourself to be confident about what you have learned if you can present it without external aid. (beware that this will be far more draining than the alternative)

Be aware that your mind recalls things more vividly the more novel and distinct they are (the more dissonance they cause your knowledge base when you are confronted with them).

Meditate beforehand, learn to zone out of yourself when you memorise, your self will come back to you when you need to think about what you remember.

Be aware of the difference between associations and abstraction, you want to avoid abstracting when you learn particular things if your mind is made to forget particulars in favour of generals, I believe it is. Yet your mind will need to associate these particulars to one another to recall them effectively, focus on associations between these particular dataoids by creating maps with lines etc between them, this utilises your spatial reasoning to form memories, I believe spatial reasoning is 99% of almost all of ours mental capacity, there is virtually no limit to how much we can recall by utilising it. (if the barest of animals can do it so can you)

Edit: the second and third advice are a bit paradoxical, zoning out of ourself in favour of better recall may not be doable if the information is very semantic-based, and if it were possible it may fail to cause sufficient dissonance for us to recall it. I cant solve this paradox atm but hope the advices carry some weight regardless.

Edited by Reciprocality

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

Posted (edited)

No magic pill. Perhaps consume foods that promote the brain's health such as blueberries, tea, dark chocolate. These processes have to be dealt with prior to finding yourself pressured against the wall. In any case, delve into the material and enjoy it.

Edited by UnbornTao

30 minutes ago, UnbornTao said:

Blueberries?

I guess there's no magic pill. Delve into the material.

@UnbornTao I don't think he were looking for a magic pill, I think he were looking for methods that makes a mountain of a task shrink by not having to brute force ever aspect of it.

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

Posted (edited)

On 20/05/2024 at 10:17 PM, Reciprocality said:

@UnbornTao I don't think he were looking for a magic pill, I think he were looking for methods that makes a mountain of a task shrink by not having to brute force ever aspect of it.

Then delve into the material. Enjoy it as if it were a hobby.

Edited by UnbornTao