Thought Art

Let's Talk Herbalism

51 posts in this topic

@Thought Art Maybe one day you can have your own herb supplement brand and sell them 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

5 hours ago, Thought Art said:

Make sure to only take over the counter herbs and don’t self prescribe TCM.

Yes! Very important point to make! People shouldn't be administering large doses of herbs for fun. It takes some learning and responsibility.

Herbs can contraindicate certain medications people take, cause rise of symptoms, allergic response etc, can be inappropriate for pregnancy, lactation, children, elderly, chronically sick individuals..lots of nuances 

Also, agreed on your other comment

@Thought Art about price. You can find good quality for less, if you find the right provider

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Yes! Very important point to make! People shouldn't be administering large doses of herbs for fun. It takes some learning and responsibility.

Herbs can contraindicate certain medications people take, cause rise of symptoms, allergic response etc, can be inappropriate for pregnancy, lactation, children, elderly, chronically sick individuals..lots of nuances 

8 hours ago, Thought Art said:

Make sure to only take over the counter herbs and don’t self prescribe TCM.

Some herbs like basic nervines, bitters and adaptigens can be consumed without prescription but be wary of going deep into herbs without proper training and professional guidance. 

What is this fearmongering lol. 

I got this guys. I'm pro. B|

Seeking medical advice is good wisdom tho. I agree. But that's not the only valid way to make decisions. We all make decisions based on our level of intelligence and understanding. We can't impose our way of living on others. That is suffocating. Sharing our perspective and recommendations are fine. But condemning those whose intelligence lead them to a different approach to life is not healthy. Leave them decide what they want to do with that information for themselves. Love patiently waits and gives its gifts to those who are receptive. And allows everyone to trek their path whatever it may be without judgement. 

This message is somewhat cryptic but I think you can crack the code. 

Edited by Salvijus

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

On 16/04/2024 at 5:31 PM, Thought Art said:

Maybe the secret behind Vonderplanitz's high meat :P

:)

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

Posted (edited)

@Salvijus nobody's cutting your wings butterfly boy ;) All we're saying is that there is a reason why people train in herbal medicine for 5+ years. There are nuances which need to be appreciated. 

I mean, if you're prescribing for yourself, knock yourself out. The moment you recommend things to others who may have less knowledge and will just 'take your word for it' that's when you're putting yourself mildly at risk. 

Maybe my perspective is different to yours. I know our worldviews are completely different, at least basing on comments I've read from you in the past. The way I'm looking at it is through the lenses of health therapist, which is my side profession. If I give a client bunch of tinctures and they end up with anaphylactic shock response, I'm fucked. If I give a depressed client bunch of nervines and they end up with serotonin syndrom and kill themselves, we're both fucked.  If I give a pregnant women Agnus Castus tincture because someone told me it "improves the alignment of her root chackra"  or some nonsense like that, and then she loses the baby due to massive surge of Progesterone, I'm fucked and she will be traumatised for life. 

Maybe it is selfish but with each dispensing of herbs to others come a great degree of responsibility. But again, if you are only dispensing to yourself, this may not apply. 

I am not condemning anyone, to each their own. I'm just seeing too much bad, irresponsible advice (not pointing my finger at you, I'm generalising) given without consideration for the person's health history, environment, genetics, state of mental health and individuality. 

That's all I'm saying. I'm fine if you disagree :)

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

It's extremely important to not self diagnose. TCM is complex and nuanced.

Basic herbalism is fine though.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Salvijus It's not so much fear mongering as I've watched a lot of documentaries and studied books on TCM. It's highly complex and nuanced to understand Yin and Yang, the 5 elements, and concepts like heat, dampness, wind, and how all the organs and stuff work together and how each herb plays a roll in that.

You shouldn't be making or playing around with high level herbology without proper education or guidance.

But, I think there is nothing wrong with applying basic theory as a layman to improve health as long as you do due diligence to research and even consult an AI, and even a TCM doctor why not. 

Make sure you are staying safe.

◭"89"

4 hours ago, Yimpa said:

@Thought Art Maybe one day you can have your own herb supplement brand and sell them 

I be selling that good shiiii

◭"89"

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

@Salvijus nobody's cutting your wings butterfly boy ;) 

Haha, that's more like it :D

I totally agree that there is wisdom in seeking professional advice. I'm not that stupid. It's just this vibe I keep witnessing of fearmongering + judgement if you go against their understanding of what is the best thing to do. Like they get mad and angry on some level. I see this often everywhere. 

Recommendations are good but if it becomes imposed it becomes suffocating. That's not love. That's not wisdom. There should be space for a recipient to apply the given knowledge and recommendations as they see fit for themselves and trek their own path because everyone is unique. 

Offering knowledge rather than converting people into a particular thought system. That is the way. 

Edited by Salvijus

@Salvijus Man you can fly this plain however you want. Who needs an expert :)

◭"89"

Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, Thought Art said:

@Salvijus Man you can fly this plain however you want. Who needs an expert :)

I do. Experts are nice. I always take into account what experts have to say. And then I make my decisions after that. Hehe

Edited by Salvijus

Posted (edited)

@Salvijus Ahah, i guess I am in the same boat. We live in the age of information after all.

I want to be humble. 

I’ve been taking in the morning:

1. Vitamin D

2. Omega 3

3. 5 types of mushrooms in a capsule (Chaga, Cordyceps, Lion’s mane, Reishi, Turkey Tail)

4. A men’s multivitamin based on a book I read on Toaist nutrition

5. Probiotic 

6. I warm lemon water first thing in the morning for energizing, detoxification and to warm up the digestion. 

7. I do at least 25 minutes of Qigong first thing. Though this is increasing more commonly to 45-60 minutes.

8. I drink dandelion tea, or nettle tea as spring tonics 

9. I eat an organic egg sandwich with organic ginger and Turmeric cooked in on high quality bread and a smoothie. I usually add greens the sand which and have greens in smoothie. 

I ordered some Siberian Ginseng through my sisters Fullscript so I am supporting her, and I’ll have that tomorrow afternoon. I’ll start taking it throughout the day to see how it goes. 

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

I still consider myself a novice in nutrition and herbalism. Let's make that clear.

◭"89"

@Michael569 I'd like to know more about sourcing the herbs. I suspect it's a huge part of this. I wanna make sure I am avoiding heavy metals and getting high quality materials.

◭"89"

3 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

@Michael569 I'd like to know more about sourcing the herbs. I suspect it's a huge part of this. I wanna make sure I am avoiding heavy metals and getting high quality materials.

I'm interested in this aswell. I think there are some brands that put only herb ingredients and the vegan capsule without anything extra. Those are good enough. But then there are other things like the potency of the ingredients itself and how these ingredients got cultivated etc. 

Posted (edited)

I thought I would share what quality Ginseng looks like just for fun. 

https://www.ilhwa-usa.com/shop

Edited by Salvijus

@Salvijus Thanks for you sharing. How do you know it's high quality?

◭"89"

12 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

Intuition. 

Lol. 

But ask Michael. I'm confident he will agree with me. 

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

No actually the energy healer I was talking about was using these himself. So i assumed he did his research and these must be good. And if you read about the company indeed it says many beautiful things how good they are in a very convincing way. 

Edited by Salvijus

@Salvijus I am just curious, not necessarily doubting. It's interesting and important to contemplate how we trust or not trust things. It's largely built on assumptions.

◭"89"