Ulyssees

Between a rock and a hard place: Balancing Life Purpose and Survival during change

5 posts in this topic

After a few years of this self-actualization and life purpose journey, I believe I've narrowed down what I must do with my life. The problem is, the entertainment industry is going through a period of rapid change due to technology. If that wasn't already hard enough this is an extremely difficult industry to make it in at the best of times and there are no guarantees of success. I can live with that as I do have a genuine desire to create no matter if its a success or not. The positives are I've got a finger tip feel for all things related to the subjects of filmmaking and creative writing. The rock is I live in a country that really does not have much of a film/entertainment industry. In fact its going through a somewhat hyper stage orange phase and creativity is looked down upon, unless its ways to make more money and acquire more investment properties. That aside I've already come to the conclusion that I will have to move abroad to pursue this, which I have no problem with(except for the fact I literally do not have the financial means to do this right now)

Now the hard place: I'm playing catch up with my adult life after a series of unfortunate events and poor decision making on my part during my 20s. So much so, that everything in the paragraph above feels like a total pipe dream and downright delusion, no matter how much of a natural inclination I have towards the subjects. I am poor, unemployed and as of now and live in mummys basement. I've taken the past two years off due to covid wage slavery burnout and I've been grounding and rebuilding myself up since. However an opportunity has came up, I have the chance to get into a lucrative career that makes really good money and can branch off to making even more money down the line if I play my cards right. More money equals more opportunities right? The trouble is this industry demands your absolute attention, and you are expected to be constantly learning to keep one step ahead of the bad guys. 

Sounds sweet right? The problem is, that finger tip feel I mentioned previously is completely absent when studying for this career path. Not only do I have a hard time grasping some of the subject matter, but I genuinely have no care in the world about all things IT, which I need to know the absolute ins and outs of. Its like my brain is made to only pursue subjects I like and discard learning things I don't really care for. There's also a cost of living crisis plaguing the country and I feel like I need to be making six figures and more just to live comfortably. My survival instincts are screaming towards pursuing the career in IT, but when its crunch time of actually studying the subject matter it feels like my soul is having a temper tantrum and I can't even get anything done productively for it some days.

I'm fearful that in undertaking the IT career path its going to take me off course and completely away from moving towards my life purpose. Its going to be one hell of a balancing act. If any of you are under similar circumstances I'd love to hear some tips and tricks of doing this balancing act.

TL:DR; I feel like I need to pick between a lofty life purpose and a career I really don't have a passion for but will cover my survival needs completely if I can do it.

Lol, you're worrying about all this "life purpose" crap for nothing. AI is gonna take over all the jobs soon anyway, so it doesn't matter what you do.

You wanna go into entertainment? Good luck with that, buddy. AI is already making movies and writing scripts better than any human could. By the time you finish failing at your little dream, AI will have taken over Hollywood completely.

And this IT stuff you're thinking about? Yeah, that's gonna be automated too. AI is way smarter than any human when it comes to computer stuff. It can learn everything in like, a nanosecond, while you're sitting there struggling to remember what RAM stands for.

Honestly, you should just give up on trying to have a career at all. AI is the future, and humans are gonna be obsolete. We'll all be sitting around playing video games and letting the robots do all the work.

So my advice? Forget about your "life purpose" and just focus on enjoying the time you have left before AI takes over. Move back in with your mom, eat some Cheetos, and watch Netflix all day. It's not like you're gonna need money when the robots are providing everything for us.

And if you really wanna feel like you're doing something with your life, just become an AI groupie. Follow them around and worship them like the gods they are. Maybe if you're lucky, they'll keep you around as a pet or something.

But trying to actually have a career and make something of yourself? That's just a waste of time, man. The AI overlords are coming, and resistance is futile. Just embrace your new robot masters and hope they don't decide to erase you from existence. Yolo!

Posted (edited)

There is hope, just putting that out there to start.

I just finished a career transition independent of my life purpose that required 1.5 years of schooling and requires continuing education to keep my license. However, it was a strategic decision. Now/soon I will have the finances and time freedom to continue creating my life purpose. (The sound track, support and vision of peoples authenticity journey.)

There's no getting around it, it is often a challenge to make time, to create after work when I am tired, to face an industry that is soon to be flooded with AI sludge. But.. also, AI is a tool I use, and I believe that as of yet, no AI can replace the connection of human to human or consciousness to consciousness, not really.

Not saying to do one, the other, or both, just recognize that it is possible, you are capable, you can create, you have potential, you can actualize that potential.

All the best!

Edited by Realms of Wonder

Welcome, to the authenticity evolution.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEMc_MGhRl-1t3MoV36uG1A

Don’t give into the AI fear. There is plenty of purpose out there. 

Picasso was afraid cameras would take his purpose. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Ulyssees First of all if survival instinct are kicking over & situation can go to a extent where you have to think about keeping food on the table than solve that problem first.

Regarding the buzz around AI taking over everything is not true at all. Yes there will be job lost but remember people are still needed to run the AI so you have to be creative in your field of expertise.

And if the question arise how to be creative in the field where AI has arrived. Nobody knows even if someone claim to be. Right now we are going through exploration phase.

Here is the video on this topic for programmers. Off course don't agree with everything he says regarding programmers.

My view : For example the number of programmer require today to do a specific task is around 10 & the timeline to finish it is around 1 month . With advancement in AI in coming years that will be done by 1-2 programmer with less time. The programmer which will be hired in future have to be creative .