TheSelf

Happy Nowruz

5 posts in this topic

Happy Nowruz! Nowruz is the Persian New Year, marking the beginning of spring and the first day of the Persian calendar. It's a time of renewal, celebration, and cultural festivities that have been observed for over 3,000 years. Nowruz is celebrated by millions of people worldwide, particularly in Iran, Central Asia, and among Persian communities around the globe. Traditional customs include cleaning the house, visiting family and friends, preparing special foods, and participating in various rituals to symbolize the themes of rebirth and new beginnings.

Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 16.16.05 (1).jpg

Happy Norouz and happy spring!

Posted (edited)

Interesting. 

There is a large Persian Zoroastrian community in India and elsewhere too. Such festivals has helped them to keep grounded to their ancestral culture and practices and connect with Persians around the world.

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20240318-what-the-3500-year-old-holiday-of-nowruz-can-teach-us-in-2024

With its hopeful message of new beginnings, Nowruz offers a valuable opportunity to recharge. The British cookbook author and broadcaster Yasmin Khan, whose mother is from Iran, sees it as the start of her year. "I gain a lot of strength from the rituals and symbolism of the spring cleaning, the growing of the sprouts, jumping over fires," she said. "They give me a sense of grounding, connecting me to my ancestral culture and also to the seasons and the elements."

Nowruz is an occasion for honouring family, both ancestors and the living, and people visit one another and feast together. 

Edited by Ajay0

Self-awareness is yoga. - Nisargadatta

Awareness is the great non-conceptual perfection. - Dzogchen

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. - Eckhart Tole