Yousif

Does exercising really make you live longer?

178 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, BlueOak said:

Opposite, not really. It would be unrelated to exercise. Did you know someone healthy who died recently? 

Again, being athletic and active doesn’t necessarily mean healthy. You all keep confusing the 2. 

4 minutes ago, BlueOak said:

In the case of dying from an accident, malice etc, that's usually completely unrelated to how often we exercise. 

I’ve made this point many times here, being active and full of energy will make you more prone into getting into accidents and troubles, 

you all keep focusing on the internal benefits that exercising have on your body, while I’m trying to make you see how that LIFE STYLE may externally ( outside your body) not make you live longer, even internally it may be optimal for LIVING LONGER not FEELING GOOD. 

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Yousif said:

You want me to be precise while you come up with numbers such as 50% out of thin air?

The 50% statistic can be deduced from the fact that vigorous exercise is usually defined as the zone between 70-100% of your max BPM, which for me would be 136-194 BPM. For simplicity's sake, let's assume the average BPM of my workout is 150. Let's also assume I have 50 BPM resting heart rate:

If I were to work out 50% of my life (12 hours a day), half of my life would be spent at 150 BPM and half of my life at 50 BPM. On average, my heart rate would be (150 + 50) / 2 = 100 BPM. That equals the resting heart rate of the unhealthy person (100 BPM), so it perfectly adds up: if you work out 50% or more of your life, you'll start to decrease your longevity based on the assumption of the amount of heart beats.

It's an estimate, sure, but it's not pulled out from thin air.

What I meant is athletes and gym rats whole life revolves around being extremely active, which I don’t think it’s the best strategy to live longer.

But exactly how often do I have to work out before I qualify for the description of "my life revolves around being extremely active"? You seem to be making statements that are not grounded in any statistics or empirical facts.

I’ve already covered this, there are many factors at play not just the exercise itself, doing exercises will led to many things that can cause your death.

"Death by exercise" is not a leading cause of death as far as I know. Do you have any statistics on that? Funnily, most of the leading causes of death are positively impacted (reduced) by regular physical exercise.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

19 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

If I were to work out 50% of my life (12 hours a day), half of my life would be spent at 150 BPM and half of my life at 50 BPM. On average, my heart rate would be (150 + 50) / 2 = 100 BPM. That equals the resting heart rate of the unhealthy person (100 BPM), so it perfectly adds up: if you work out 50% or more of your life, you'll start to decrease your longevity based on the assumption of amount of heart beats.

It's an estimate, sure, but it's not pulled out from thin air.

Go back in this post and read what I said, 

how does over working your heart makes you live longer? 
how does over using something makes it newer or last longer? 

doesn’t seem logical, and yet all your science and empirical data is based on logic,

I again made a point that sure, you’ll get to a resting heart rate of 50 bpm, but that’s after you’ve already exhausted yourself in exercising, and also if you’re really that athletic to the point of your resting heart rate comes down to 50 bpm, you tend to be a monkey and unable to rest, you’re basically addicted to being active, which means you’ll end up over using your heart which means you’ll not be living longer.

Posted (edited)

58 minutes ago, Yousif said:

Again, being athletic and active doesn’t necessarily mean healthy. You all keep confusing the 2. 

No I don't. All things being equal athletic is healthier than the alternative state.

*If you are describing 2 days cardio and 2 days resistance, or their equivalent as athletic.

Edited by BlueOak

25 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

But exactly how often do I have to work out before I qualify for the description of "my life revolves around being extremely active"? You seem to be making statements that are not grounded in any statistics or empirical facts.

That’s completely relative and subjective, which is why there’s no such a thing as empirical facts, 

you can study 50 or 100 people and come up with an answer, doesn’t mean it will work on everyone with different backgrounds ang genetics. 

1 minute ago, BlueOak said:

No I don't. All things being equal athletic is healthier than the alternative state.

Healthy doesn’t equal living longer.

28 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

"Death by exercise" is not a leading cause of death as far as I know. Do you have any statistics on that?

This is why science is stage orange and low consciousness, they look at the problem linearly and not holistically, and they don’t not consider all the factors, 

a wild child is more likely to hit his head and die then a lazy child, even tho the wild one is way healthier and fitter.

The thread is about living longer, NOT being healthy or not

21 minutes ago, Yousif said:

Healthy doesn’t equal living longer.

Yes it does by mean and median value.

5 minutes ago, BlueOak said:

Yes it does by mean and median value.

Nope, you can be too healthy for your own good and end up dying at a young age from many different factors due to you being healthy, open your mind to think holistically 

On 19/03/2024 at 0:51 PM, Carl-Richard said:

Define light moderate exercise.

anything that is not running marathons or half-marathons regularly, or the proportionally the same to people that do strength training

Being a Guru is frustrating because what can be done in a moment, people make it a lifetime.’

17 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

anything that is not running marathons or half-marathons regularly, or the proportionally the same to people that do strength training

There really is no one formula for everyone, we all have different capacities and genetics,

but generally over doing it tends to backfire

26 minutes ago, Yousif said:

Nope, you can be too healthy for your own good and end up dying at a young age from many different factors due to you being healthy, open your mind to think holistically 

A million things can happen in this life. We've gone around this a few times. It doesn't change the fact that being healthy increases the average lifespan for an individual and the quality of life they experience. Health is not over training, that is unhealthy. Yes you can exercise yourself to death, you can walk out tomorrow into a bus, or eat yourself to death on burgers. 

Health is a basic fundamental fact that reality is based on. Health is how we unconsciously choose who we are attracted to, and choose to have our kids with as an example. The reason being we want healthy kids and people who not only live through birth but are around to raise them. That's all pre-loaded before we even pick and choose our personal preferences.

So yes, being healthy is a key to having a longer life, that doesn't mean you train yourself to death, that's not health. Again I can only assume you've seen someone healthy die. I have too, as you get older you'll see more of it, unexpected things happening and those you knew once no longer with you. As you hit 40 if you don't take care of yourself, you'll get problems, and those problems could end up killing you or just making you suffer.

Having recently been to the doctors to check on my heart, and now feel pinching in my chest as I type this. Exercise. Even if getting the weight off seems impossible, do it anyway. Don't talk yourself out of it. Just balance it, balance is health overdoing something isn't, just not exercising at all is dumb. 

@Yousif All else being  equal (taking the same amount of risk etc), does being healthy increase your lifespan compared to being less healthy or not?

2 minutes ago, BlueOak said:

A million things can happen in this life.

You can say being healthy may lead to a longer life, but you cannot state it as a fact, because it isn’t. 

and I say being healthier may not make you live longer simply because when you’re healthier you’re more active and you tend over due things which will lead to your death,

I’m not saying to not be healthy, health is one of my top values, but I choose health not because I think it will make me live longer, maybe more happy,efficient, energetic, functional, but not for a min do I believe or think it will make me live longer.

4 minutes ago, zurew said:

@Yousif All else being  equal (taking the same amount of risk etc), does being healthy increase your lifespan compared to being less healthy or not?

I can say it tends to make you feel better and happier, more functional, I don’t know about increasing your lifespan because there are many factors we are not considering, 

if you’ve been in a coma for 70 years, you’re not necessarily healthy but you still may live longer than a healthy normal person.

Just now, Yousif said:

I don’t know about increasing your lifespan because there are many factors we are not considering, 

Thats why I said all else being equal - to isolate the variables. All else equal here would mean whatever objection you can come up with in your mind - you  apply that objection to both a more healthy and to a less healthy person. So having the same genetics, same history, taking the same amount of risks (add anything else here) does being more helathy make you live longer or not?

You’re all scientifically minded and empirical facts worshippers, if you answer this one scientific question then I will let you have it, 

tell me, doesn’t relativity mean that everything is relative and nothing is actually a fact, why do you take the stance of having empirical facts then?

you literally cannot say something is one thing over its opposite, this is the real world, you cannot say health will make you live longer, even if you take data and measure lifespans of all people, still all you have is a pattern, you do not have a fact, there literally is no such a thing as a fact in the real world.

Just now, zurew said:

Thats why I said all else being equal - to isolate the variables. All else equal here would mean whatever objection you can come up with in your mind - you  apply that objection to both a more healthy and to a less healthy person. So having the same genetics, same history, taking the same amount of risks (add anything else here) does being more helathy make you live longer or not?

I already said it tends, that’s not a fact, that’s a pattern that can be changed, also there’s million other factors you’re not considering that may actually prove that being healthy won’t let you live longer.