Rafael Thundercat

Nice video Doc to understant why is difficult to make good cities.

24 posts in this topic

Some of her points are ill-grounded, but she's good overall. 

Not all urban regeneration is about gentrification. It can be turning derelict brownfield lands into housing or low-end/mid-range retail. 

This is an example in her own city - https://www.barnet.gov.uk/brent-cross-cricklewood-regeneration-programme

But then apparently, according to you, there is only one view of anyting in life. and its good to lie about peolpe having rights to opinions based on thoughts one developed as a child/teen.

2 hours ago, bebotalk said:

Some of her points are ill-grounded, but she's good overall. 

Not all urban regeneration is about gentrification. It can be turning derelict brownfield lands into housing or low-end/mid-range retail. 

This is an example in her own city - https://www.barnet.gov.uk/brent-cross-cricklewood-regeneration-programme

But then apparently, according to you, there is only one view of anyting in life. and its good to lie about peolpe having rights to opinions based on thoughts one developed as a child/teen.

How much time did you took to reflec in the insigths and ideias presented in the video? One day? One minute? Give my a small bullet list of  what point she give that is ill -grounded? 

She is presenting a social fenomena. If she is just delusional good, life keep going anyway. But she as many others are the ones who care about colateral injustices coming from this phenomena. If you was one of the people being affected by gentrification you would have a different view of the topic. 

When I watch a video about some problem in society I dont start assuming the person bringing awareness to the topic.to be a ill person. She took time to research and get some conclusions. She may know that all cases are not the same. But when you see this things going on the question to ask is : 

Do you even care?

If you dont care, just go with you life. You would not even botter to read the post and answer. I see many posts in this forum that I dont care and feel are not even relevant so I dont engage. If I have nothiting to add to the understanding of something I just let it be. 

1 hour ago, bebotalk said:

I'm amused that your English is poor. Yet apparently I'm the incoherent one. 

It's "A nice video from Doc as to why it's difficult to make good cities". You're like a person who hasn't washed in two weeks telling others off for smelling like shit. But you'll have some Indian dude with a blinded perception labelling me as the total villain, on some whim he learnt from his mandir/temple. 

Though I stand by my points. She usually makes sound videos but then not all urban regeneration is equally as negative. It's way more nuanced than she is letting on. 

Of course, there is always more nuances and subtleties. Infinite Nuances. But if will wait for understand infinite nuances to start taking action we will need to wait till the end of times to make nay move. My point is, yes we can have wrong information in a complex system but we still will need to act. Do you know everything about how your day will flow each and every morning? No. You use the best information you have to do everything you take for granted in yout routine. Lets imagine one day you wake up and there is a Tiger in your Kitchen, if that happen you will need to act in the moment with the best you have. My point is, a citzen who cares abour the state of the world will need to act with the best info he or her or it have in the moment. Daniel Schmachtenberger  gives big sense-making lectures about the situation of our current predicament. Do he have all the infomration available. No, no way, no human is able to have all data or even process all data. But will he wait to have all understanding to start taking action? No, he is taking action with the best he can, and this is the case of this youtuber and even Leo Gura, Leo videos give the best he can in the moment and even he admit that is impossible to hope he will give all answers ,

Well, I apparently trigger you here. Since there are unwritten "rules" stating I cannot make opinions. When you don't get basic political and economic precepts and your English is poor. And you cannot spell rudimentary words in the English language. But I'm not welcome here since I internally vex you, since your inner world is something everybody else has to care about. But everybody else is incoherent and has to fold. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/incoherent

Though your Indian guru friends here will not get you exhibit of incoherence. Spiritualists do tend to be blinded. 

10 minutes ago, bebotalk said:

Well, I apparently trigger you here. Since there are unwritten "rules" stating I cannot make opinions. When you don't get basic political and economic precepts and your English is poor. And you cannot spell rudimentary words in the English language. But I'm not welcome here since I internally vex you, since your inner world is something everybody else has to care about. But everybody else is incoherent and has to fold. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/incoherent

Though your Indian guru friends here will not get you exhibit of incoherence. Spiritualists do tend to be blinded. 

You assume I am Indian? You assume I dont welcome you. both assumptions are wrong. 

@bebotalk Man you Love the issue of building better places to live? YES, add to the topic. No, go to some thread  to satisfy you need to be rigth. I dont claim I am rigth about anything. When I open a thead my goal is see if others can add something of value and not just start a figth. 

your Indian guru friends

Spiritualists do tend to be blinded. 

It's funny how people's brains work. quite fascinating overall.

I see that you are a fan of generalizing, feeling superior and of the word "cringe". That's a wholesome package.

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

@Arthogaan I though I was the only one seeing it .

I hope people who see this post can see my point. My point is: All of us live in a city. Maybe some live in the contryside.  My question: Are you concerned with you city issues? do you participate in the evolution of it or you just are a Spectator letting all go. Imagine you area is a nice place with green parks. In case you want to live there till old age, would you love to see the place get more beautyfull for the next generations? or you just dont care. If you dont care so this thread is not for you. This is about solutions to avoid the cultural social deterioration of your place or corner in the Universe. Yes we cont control everthing. But if we care a bit we will find ways to participate in our locality 

ah a plus: the video that originated this thread have a twist. It happens around 35:00 of the video. yes there is more about the video than Gentrification, but you just get the cookie if you watch the whole thing. 

The true intention of this video was about this :

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2022/03/15-minute-city-stickiness/

This 

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/11/15minute-city-falls-short/

THIS 

15 minute cities: How they got caught in conspiracy theories - BBC News

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-66990302

this 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/28/technology/carlos-moreno-15-minute-cities-conspiracy-theories.html

A short extract from the link 

For most of his 40-year career, Carlos Moreno, a scientist and business professor in Paris, worked in relative peace.

Many cities around the world embraced a concept he started to develop in 2010. Called the 15-minute city, the idea is that everyday destinations such as schools, stores and offices should be only a short walk or bike ride away from home. A group of nearly 100 mayors worldwide embraced it as a way to help recover from the pandemic.

The conspiracy theorists came late, but suddenly.

In recent weeks, a deluge of rumors and distortions have taken aim at Mr. Moreno’s proposal. Driven in part by climate change deniers and backers of the QAnon conspiracy theory, false claims have circulated online, at protests and even in government hearings that 15-minute cities were a precursor to “climate change lockdowns” — urban “prison camps” in which residents’ movements would be surveilled and heavily restricted.

Many attacked Mr. Moreno, 63, directly. The professor, who teaches at the University of Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, faced harassment in online forums and over email. He was accused without evidence of being an agent of an invisible totalitarian world government. He was likened to criminals and dictators.

For the first time in his career, he started receiving death threats. People said they wished he and his family had been killed by drug lords, told him that “sooner or later your punishment will arrive” and proposed that he be nailed into a coffin or run over by a cement roller.

“I wasn’t a researcher anymore, I was Pol Pot, Stalin, Hitler,” Mr. Moreno said. “I have become, in one week, Public Enemy No. 1.”

For high-profile figures, such as the infectious-disease expert Dr. Anthony S. Fauci and the Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, misinformation and the hostility it can cause have long been a part of the job description. But increasingly, even professors and researchers without much of a public persona have faced intimidation from extremists and conspiracy theorists.

And Over all..

the Video is about the topic of people living in a Virtual Reality, a Phantasm. or as Leo points : Augmented Reality. A sort of Self Made Dream 

Thats why I know who watched the whole video and Who dont. because the video have a Twist. 

Edited by Rafael Thundercat

The video end up being about this :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Philosophy_of_'As_if'

Within a philosophical framework of epistemology, the book argues for false premises or false assumptions as a viable cognitive heuristic. For example, simplified models used in the physical sciences are often formally false, but nevertheless close enough to the truth to furnish useful insight; this is understood as a form of idealization.

6 hours ago, UnbornTao said:

@bebotalk Easy.

I can speak freely, as can you. We're both human. you may have gained that right by how you look by accident or the design of others, but such is life. i have it too.

8 hours ago, Arthogaan said:

I see that you are a fan of generalizing, feeling superior and of the word "cringe". That's a wholesome package.

Yes, but I don't hide my negativity like you do. And yes, I use vernacular often. And? It's just words. 

Much of the world is bigoted. I have some bad psychological traits, including over-generalising. I don't profess to be perfect.

I'm not sure what your issue is with me. all can place opinions here. I think that offends you, since you think like Hitler and infuse your subjective likes into reality. Or you have some plot to undermine me. What i fight back agaisnt that plot? is that not anybody's right? though you prove my point - you cite me as the "wrong" without any real scrutiny. spiritualists tend to think like Hitler.

Edited by bebotalk

5 hours ago, bebotalk said:

I don't hide my negativity

Typical for non-spiritualists. 

I use vernacular often. And? It's just words. 

Nothing. It's just cringe to see cringe everywhere.

I'm not sure what your issue is with me. all can place opinions here.

You are negative and feeling superior. You have the right to your opinions and negativity yes, and in the same way I have the right to not like you and point out your hypocrisy. Everything is okay.

3 hours ago, Arthogaan said:

Typical for non-spiritualists. 

Nothing. It's just cringe to see cringe everywhere.

You are negative and feeling superior. You have the right to your opinions and negativity yes, and in the same way I have the right to not like you and point out your hypocrisy. Everything is okay.

humans are humans. we have a mix of emotions and behaviouf. i'm not feeling superior. though i don't like you since you believe you're right and don't see the bigger picture. kindly state how i'm wrong here? i doubt you can. i don't see where i'm being a hypocrite at all. i just left a response to the video posted. but then apparently you're so right and wise in evetything. Moreover, people don't act to suit your tastes or needs. your spiritualism is overriding basic human practice. as for hypocrisy, i've seen you post lots of negative stuff. and bemoan others for not being astute. but then you think everybody always behaves in a civil and benevolent fashion. that's not astute. i'm glad we mutually dislike each other.

Edited by bebotalk

28 minutes ago, bebotalk said:

humans are humans. we have a mix of emotions and behaviouf

Agreed.

29 minutes ago, bebotalk said:

kindly state how i'm wrong here?

You are not wrong. I just don't like your disrespectful tone with sentences like "your indian guru friends".

31 minutes ago, bebotalk said:

people don't act to suit your tastes or needs.

Agreed and I could say the same to you.

32 minutes ago, bebotalk said:

i'm glad we mutually dislike each other.

Yup. There's something sincere in that. I'm sure it will end in bromance eventually ^_^

45 minutes ago, Arthogaan said:

Agreed.

You are not wrong. I just don't like your disrespectful tone with sentences like "your indian guru friends".

Agreed and I could say the same to you.

Yup. There's something sincere in that. I'm sure it will end in bromance eventually ^_^

Isn't it you saying I cannot say "cringe"? there i said it. maybe just filter it out. Did your guru not tell you to filter things out? most do. I'm not being disrespectful at all. Though I'm amused you genuinely assume the world must conform to your personal tastes and likes. you don't like ever being contrite, seemingly. 

3 minutes ago, bebotalk said:

Isn't it you saying I cannot say "cringe"?

I didn't say you can't. I am just expressing my opinion that it's cringe to use it that often.

4 minutes ago, bebotalk said:

I'm not being disrespectful at all

I believe you that you think that. However again, it is my personal opinion that you are with "your indian guru friends" "your guru" "you spiritualist" and so on - so I just express my opinion

5 minutes ago, bebotalk said:

assume the world must conform to your personal tastes and likes.

I don't assume that. again I am just expressing my opinion about your communication. If you can't accept that then it's you who thinks that the world must conform to your personal tastes.