Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bebotalk

conspiracy theories

18 posts in this topic

Why do people believe in them? 

One thing I've never got is that even if there is some NWO or lizardmen controlling us, how can a random person stop them? The point of any conspiracy is stealth and being hidden.  It would be highly difficult to expose. Take David Icke's Lizardmen. Clearly they are beings more advanced than us, if they indeed exist. So what could humans do to stop them? It would be in their interest to create systems to keep those under control, wouldn't it? 

Moreover, why are most conspiracy theories about nefarious or dark acts? Why can't organisations or conspiracies conspire for the good? Why can't they say that x war happened since it would lead to y technology being invented to care a host of diseases in the future? 

One main reason why people believe in them , because they provide some explanation to a set of unexplained facts that would be complex or hard to understand or to disentangle without it.

One other reason (this is connected to the first one) is that people don't like being confused and people don't like not being sure about things.  The state of uncertainty about things is hard to handle and stressful to maintain - therefore they use conspiracies to get rid of said uncertainty.

On 24/02/2024 at 11:15 AM, zurew said:

One main reason why people believe in them , because they provide some explanation to a set of unexplained facts that would be complex or hard to understand or to disentangle without it.

One other reason (this is connected to the first one) is that people don't like being confused and people don't like not being sure about things.  The state of uncertainty about things is hard to handle and stressful to maintain - therefore they use conspiracies to get rid of said uncertainty.

I've heard these explanations but then both of them imho are weak. I've often thought that it's about having insider knowledge, or just ego. that some peole want to appear smart. 

5 hours ago, bebotalk said:

I've heard these explanations but then both of them imho are weak.

What do you mean by "weak"?

Do you mean that its not applicable to most people who would be considered as a conspiracy theorist or do you mean that they are only applicable to a small portion of people who would be considered conspiracy theorist or do you mean something different?

2 hours ago, zurew said:

What do you mean by "weak"?

Do you mean that its not applicable to most people who would be considered as a conspiracy theorist or do you mean that they are only applicable to a small portion of people who would be considered conspiracy theorist or do you mean something different?

I mean weak as in they're lacking in substance overall as explanations. 

Edited by bebotalk

Since Elon took over X, there has been an explosion in the transference of ideas & free thought … many of the conspiracy theories are without merit, and some have shown to have substantial merit with an abundance of receipts. 

I’m just enjoying watching legacy media freak out about it. They seem uncomfortable without control of the narrative. 

6 minutes ago, mindfulstepz said:

Since Elon took over X, there has been an explosion in the transference of ideas & free thought … many of the conspiracy theories are without merit, and some have shown to have substantial merit with an abundance of receipts. 

I’m just enjoying watching legacy media freak out about it. They seem uncomfortable without control of the narrative. 

It's not just Musk or X. I'm referring to it more generically. There have been conspiracy nuts long before social media existed. 

6 hours ago, bebotalk said:

I mean weak as in they're lacking in substance overall as explanations. 

I don't know what kind of explanation you are looking for.

Why do detectives like solving mysteries?

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

2 hours ago, zurew said:

I don't know what kind of explanation you are looking for.

One that triggers you.....

Though I stand that I believe they are weak imho. 

On 2024. 02. 27. at 3:29 AM, bebotalk said:

One that triggers you.....

Though I stand that I believe they are weak imho. 

Your explanation about what kind of explanation you are looking for-  is very weak and lacking in substance imho (I wont specify or elaborate or give you anything tangible why, im just saying it is weak though).

6 hours ago, zurew said:

Your explanation about what kind of explanation you are looking for-  is very weak and lacking in substance imho (I wont specify or elaborate or give you anything tangible why, im just saying it is weak though).

And the common reasons why are weak, as I stated. Why assume I wanted a deeper explanation? You've just wasted time not knowing that "weak" means. Pretty standard by any dictionary. Your points in response were pretty tangential and agenda-driven. 

IMHO, people who are conspiracy nuts are weak. 

My point here is just to say that the common rationale behind why people like conspiracy theories is weak. I'm amused that  bothers you, or people have to care about your interest. you're not as "spiritual and wise" as you purport. 

Edited by bebotalk

12 hours ago, bebotalk said:

And the common reasons why are weak, as I stated. Why assume I wanted a deeper explanation? You've just wasted time not knowing that "weak" means. Pretty standard by any dictionary. Your points in response were pretty tangential and agenda-driven. 

My point here is just to say that the common rationale behind why people like conspiracy theories is weak. I'm amused that  bothers you, or people have to care about your interest. you're not as "spiritual and wise" as you purport. 

Those statements are incoherent and you are not making any sense. 

you're not as "spiritual and wise" as you purport. 

Where did I puport it exactly? Sounds like you are making shit up.

I can take it that I triggered you, since I merely responded to your question with my own views.

Am I not permitted to express my views?

the values of your temple aren't universal. 

@bebotalk Help me and make this make sense:

Your explanation was this:

and you think that, that above explanation is a more substantive explanation, than this:

On 2024. 02. 24. at 0:15 PM, zurew said:

This is why I said, that you are not making any sense, and why its unclear what kind of explanation you were looking for.

people who lie about people expressing opinions are comical. 

All conspiracy theories and alternative theories are differents.

Attacking alternative theories is just as ego-driven as defending them.

I don't know anything about the world, I have no problem thinking that there are pedophile Satanist elites, that September 11 was organized or things like that (i'm not saying that I believe in it, I'm saying that it's entirely possible), there are simply very twisted people so yes it can exist, everything is on a case by case basis.

Edited by Schizophonia

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

1 hour ago, bebotalk said:

people who lie about people expressing opinions are comical. 

Thank you, that sentence very much clear things up.

A sentence with so much explanatory power.

You have a good ability to track the conversation and you have a good ability to answer and directly engage with the questions at hand.