ZenAlex

Is there anything in this supplement that could cause long term issues?

7 posts in this topic

Overview

Veg 1 -

Sugar, Dextrose, Thickening Agent (Xanthan Gum), Bulking Agent (Microcrystalline Cellulose), Lubricant (Stearic Acid), L-Selenomethionine Prep. (Selenium), Lichen Cholecalciferol Prep. (Vitamin D3), Anti-Caking Agent (Silicon Dioxide), Flavouring (Orange), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide (Iodine), Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12)

Vitamin B12 (25µg – 1,000%)

Vitamin D3 (20µg - 400%)

Iodine (150µg - 100%)

Selenium (60µg - 109%)

Vitamin B2 (1.6mg -114%)

Vitamin B6 (2mg - 143%)

Folic Acid (200µg - 100%)

--------------------------------------------

As you know I've been having issues, which may be due to a deficiency, but I cannot help but notice that my symptoms started soon after I went on a new supplement that I fear triggered these symptoms.

I was completely fine for years and then the symptoms started in sep 2023, and the only thing that stands out to me that changed in my life around the time the symptoms started, was this supplement that I started taking. I took it for several weeks july-sep leading up to when the symptoms started. The symptoms started somewhat gradually but it was still quite rapid.

About 6 months ago I started getting symptoms like -

An exercise intolerance - Feeling irritable, anxious, restless and depressed after any form of exercise, even walking, so it was not a problem with over exertion. Also I'm getting stomach issues like pain, diorreah and really bad farts. I also experience lightheadedness and sometimes even tinnitus.

If I stop physical activity, the physical and psychological symptoms significantly subside, although not completely. I never had these issues before in my life, and they came on abruptly, and nothing else in my life changed besides the consumption of this supplement.

I know it could be a deficiency but could this supplement have kick started any long term side effect?

Edited by ZenAlex

Look at the 1st ingredient. Should tell you something. The 1st 5 ingredients are shit including the anti-caking and flavouring(orange), not sure about the rest. Pretty much a chemist lab.

You probably won't care about what I've said though and keep taking it as I've found with everybody else. Then they come back with another problem to solve. I don't even know how these poisons gets approved. Ugg.

The "I" wants to know it's not. So, it seeks the end of itself. Hurray, there never was an "I". 

@ZenAlex My friend: the fact that you started experiencing these symptoms months after starting this supplement is merely coincidental. What you are currently facing has been many years in the making as your liver, over nearly a decade now, has become increasingly depleted of vitamin B12, until hitting the threshold with which symptomology finally surfaced.

Vitamin B12 is stored long-term in the liver which acts as a multi-year reservoir of such, which will slowly release over months and years to meet your demands. The problem is that, if you have a net deficit/depletion of vitamin B12, then over an impossible to predict time horizon, you will eventually hit the aforementioned threshold wherein your symptoms surface, but never attribute that to your diet which as far as you can tell is non-contributory because you have been following it for nearly a decade.

Until you get your vitamin B12 above 1,000 - you are going to continue feeling terrible. Some people, by the way, are non responders to vitamin B12 supplementation and fail to augment their levels, necessitating they source it from whole foods, and I would place you in this category.

Before you do anything else, quite frankly including responding to this message, although feel free to ask any clarifying questions, this is exactly what I would do in your position:

1. Speak to a physician about receiving an intramuscular vitamin B12 shot ASAP.

2. Eat red meat, ideally beef, daily (I consume 400g but try to get at least 200g or better yet, half a pound).

3. Completely ignore the currently, laughably low, established reference range and aim for a four-digit result.

4. Do not dive down any adjacent rabbit holes, depleting time and energy affiliated with such, until you fully go down this one and come out on the other side, where you will, I promise, see the light at the end of the tunnel.

5. Trash that supplement today, not least because it is advertised to contain 10x the RDA of vitamin B12, and, as evidenced by your labs, has left you at the bottom end of the reference range.

I don't want you to have to suffer any more from this my friend, so please take this advice seriously and let me know if there is any further clarification I can offer. You've got this man!

6 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

Look at the 1st ingredient. Should tell you something. The 1st 5 ingredients are shit including the anti-caking and flavouring(orange), not sure about the rest. Pretty much a chemist lab.

You probably won't care about what I've said though and keep taking it as I've found with everybody else. Then they come back with another problem to solve. I don't even know how these poisons gets approved. Ugg.

As a former pharmacist of 5 years, I will echo this message entirely.

I will also add that I'm a bit more optimistic that Alex will internalize and actualize both your and my advice/feedback, while acknowledging that indeed, these messages do tend to fall on deaf ears.

Alex has a reason to change, and I'm confident that he will embrace what's been said here and never look back after experiencing the results firsthand.

16 minutes ago, Jason Actualization said:

As a former pharmacist of 5 years, I will echo this message entirely.

I will also add that I'm a bit more optimistic that Alex will internalize and actualize both your and my advice/feedback, while acknowledging that indeed, these messages do tend to fall on deaf ears.

Alex has a reason to change, and I'm confident that he will embrace what's been said here and never look back after experiencing the results firsthand.

Ok, great.

The "I" wants to know it's not. So, it seeks the end of itself. Hurray, there never was an "I". 

On 24/02/2024 at 0:36 AM, Jason Actualization said:

@ZenAlex My friend: the fact that you started experiencing these symptoms months after starting this supplement is merely coincidental. What you are currently facing has been many years in the making as your liver, over nearly a decade now, has become increasingly depleted of vitamin B12, until hitting the threshold with which symptomology finally surfaced.

Vitamin B12 is stored long-term in the liver which acts as a multi-year reservoir of such, which will slowly release over months and years to meet your demands. The problem is that, if you have a net deficit/depletion of vitamin B12, then over an impossible to predict time horizon, you will eventually hit the aforementioned threshold wherein your symptoms surface, but never attribute that to your diet which as far as you can tell is non-contributory because you have been following it for nearly a decade.

Until you get your vitamin B12 above 1,000 - you are going to continue feeling terrible. Some people, by the way, are non responders to vitamin B12 supplementation and fail to augment their levels, necessitating they source it from whole foods, and I would place you in this category.

Before you do anything else, quite frankly including responding to this message, although feel free to ask any clarifying questions, this is exactly what I would do in your position:

1. Speak to a physician about receiving an intramuscular vitamin B12 shot ASAP.

2. Eat red meat, ideally beef, daily (I consume 400g but try to get at least 200g or better yet, half a pound).

3. Completely ignore the currently, laughably low, established reference range and aim for a four-digit result.

4. Do not dive down any adjacent rabbit holes, depleting time and energy affiliated with such, until you fully go down this one and come out on the other side, where you will, I promise, see the light at the end of the tunnel.

5. Trash that supplement today, not least because it is advertised to contain 10x the RDA of vitamin B12, and, as evidenced by your labs, has left you at the bottom end of the reference range.

I don't want you to have to suffer any more from this my friend, so please take this advice seriously and let me know if there is any further clarification I can offer. You've got this man!

@Princess Arabia

Apologies if you guys don't feel I'm taking your advice seriously. 

I'm actually up and down right now because at times I think I'm feeling better, but then I get the symptoms in again.

I had a weird moment of bliss like I hadn't experienced for a long time on friday night where I didn't even have to meditate, my mind was still and the entire room was enough to satiate me.

Then I got hit with some symptoms on and off over the weekend. One moment feeling a child like uncaring freedom like being reminded of what it was like to be a 15 year old and then feeling like I was doing deep breathing exercises to make sure an anxiety attack doesn't arise.

I think my dietary changes are kicking in. Maybe the improved Omega 3 or B12. 

I'm getting my Methyl results back this week so I'll report in. Thank you for your guys support. 

Unfortunately my local doctors keep on getting antagonistic when I mention low b12, they just say "there's no reason to do any further tests", and they are focusing on my stomach problems and have prescribed me an anti-spasmodic medication and told me they'll call me in a month.

I am of course likely not taking that shit. I have tried to remove gluten in case that could be causing it, but for some strange reason exercise seems to be the thing aggravating the symptoms more than anything else. 

The difficult thing is in the UK you have to see a General Practitioner before you get referred anywhere else. I called the non-emergency number twice and they do shit like ecg's and stuff and then just refer me back to my GP. 

Hopefully once my MMA test comes back with a definitive answer, I'll take that to my doctor and they'll finally recognise what they issue is.

@ZenAlex Regardless of the MMA test results, your B12 level is one of the lowest I have ever seen (even people with a 500-600 level can manifest clinical symptoms). Nevertheless, you are on the right track to recovery, and I have no doubt you are taking this seriously and will one day recollect these times as something approximating a bad dream. Keep us posted man!