The White Belt

Beginning Yoga.

9 posts in this topic

I really like Sadhguru.

He talks about Yoga so highly that I am inspired to begin.

He however talks about modern yoga being like a child's version of real yoga.

So can somebody please recommend a proper 'spiritual' yoga programme, book, dvd series, etc. I can begin with.

Also can somebody take a look at this book for me and tell me if it's a good place to begin?

Light on Yoga: The Definitive Guide to Yoga Practice

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Yoga-Definitive-Guide-Practice/dp/0007107005/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1491740942&sr=8-7&keywords=HATHA+YOGA

It looks good but I don't want to end up with the wrong kind of practice.

Thanks! :) <3 :)

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

57 minutes ago, BeginnerActualizer said:

I don't want to end up with the wrong kind of practice.

What are your goals ? What results do you expect from right kind of practice ?

@Prabhaker Health and happiness. 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

1 minute ago, BeginnerActualizer said:

Health and happiness

Modern yoga is enough for it, real yoga needs a disciple which is very difficult for a modern man to follow.  

Link provided by you refers to B.K.S. Iyengar, he is a reputed yoga teacher. In India Baba Ramdev is most popular.

to categorize one thing as real yoga and the other as childish is in my book putting labels and expressing elitism and close-mindedness. 
the only degree by which one should measure one yoga or another is if it feels good to yourself personally. 

If it feels good it's good yoga, if it feels bad then it's bad yoga. It's an entirely personal experience. 

So what I advise is try the first thing that comes to mind, if it feels good, keep doing it. 
There's no ''perfect yoga'' for you out there that you can't live without. 

If life is free and playful it could not possibly be this restricting? 

The thing about being perfect in every way is realizing that you are perfect in any way, no matter what you do. 
You could grow amazingly with one sort of yoga and amazingly with another. 
The common factor here is ''you''.
That's why you're perfect, you can try anything and it will be of great worth and insights to you. 

So there's no need to feel pressured to seek the perfect circumstance, the perfect ''yoga'', you have everything you need right inside you and you take it wherever you go, whether it is the love you need, the spiritual lessons you need to learn, everything is within you at all times, so playfully navigate life.

Your higher self is so intelligent it will manifest your life in a beneficial way to yourself no matter which direction you take.Whether it's yoga number 1 or yoga number 3, you will reap great benefits out of them, so just follow your joy, your curiosity.  

Edited by Arkandeus

Stellars interact with Terrans from ÓB (Earth’s Low Orbit).!

@Prabhaker Does it atleast cross over to a meditative form? 

@Arkandeus Sadhguru's words not mine. I'm just looking for the best way to come at it, but yes I see what you're saying it. If I do it from the heart, it will be perfect. 

― Shunryu Suzuki

1 minute ago, BeginnerActualizer said:

Does it at least cross over to a meditative form?

Journey towards meditation needs great patience and commitment on any path, even modern yoga demands a disciplined life. Modern yoga will certainty help your growth towards meditation, if you are not in a hurry.

I haven't read Light on Yoga but I've heard it recommended countless times to high acclaim.  

If you want a good yoga path/program/structure I highly suggest aypsite.org - it will be all you need and it has a very helpful community. 

@Prabhaker Thanks! 

@Arman Thank you also. Will check out the site!

― Shunryu Suzuki