GrowthSeeker

Writer's Hub

9 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone

I am learning to become a digital writer and thought that we could dedicate a thread to writers. 

Here, we can share tips and resources on becoming a better writer.

Feedback is Important. We can share our work here and get valuable feedback

Personally, I think Dan KoeJustin Welsh, and Ship 30 for 30 are great resources.

Check out my work: Website | LinkedIn

Very cool! The couple tips I’ve got is to hone in on direct experience and develop connections intuitively.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

From a close writer friend I know that inspiration and flow is everything but that it doesn't come at will. However, one needs to write nonetheless, and even without the flow what you write is usually pretty good.

👁CONSCIOUSNESS👁

☀️INFINITY_GOD🌞

🌎LOVE❤️                         💎TRUTH⚔️

@Yimpa I agree. Finding connections between two different things is important 

7 hours ago, Yimpa said:

Very cool! The couple tips I’ve got is to hone in on direct experience and develop connections intuitively.

5 hours ago, Davino said:

From a close writer friend I know that inspiration and flow is everything but that it doesn't come at will. However, one needs to write nonetheless, and even without the flow what you write is usually pretty good.

I believe flow comes when you put in daily reps

Read the words out loud, it doesn't have to be all the time.

Try to remove surplus words or redundancy in the narrative or passage. Unless going for a more flowery poetic style, then some surplus words are inherently used.

Try to meet or get in contact with editors or small independent publishers.

Get feedback often. I am going to give away a tip I plan to use here, use YouTube, read passages, and see what people say. You could also post a small section on the various sites for writers out there, to not only generate interest but also get feedback.

Music is my vehicle for inspiration. I feel I should give each song credit at the end of the work!

If you are just starting out, spend some time on roleplaying forums writing collaboratively, and get feedback. A forum with good writers is a great place for a writer to train. It will sap you creatively from your professional pursuits, so it needs to be balanced and then stopped, at least for me to have the energy to put into my own stories.

Edited by BlueOak

I think this post about Kindle Direct Publishing is directly relevant to anyone interested in writing a book:

Kindle Direct Publishing is a new business model for independent writers that allows printing on demand and outsorcing of the technicalities to Amazon.

Here is a quote from their help web: "KDP prints your book on demand and subtracts your printing costs from your royalties. That means you don't have to pay any costs upfront or carry any inventory."

👁CONSCIOUSNESS👁

☀️INFINITY_GOD🌞

🌎LOVE❤️                         💎TRUTH⚔️

Posted (edited)

Well, I've made a good start, I'm at 21,000 words for my novel in a week. I've never been beyond a few hundred words, as I've always been missing the feedback to bounce off, and the creative unpredictability of a writing partner. I've realized dice and a table of results can offer some of this. It takes some improvisation skills to make it work and design a decent dice system to support rather than hinder the flow, depending on your genre and style.

I am however not able to afford an editor, so I will be doing that myself. I'll be using whatever editing tools are available online to help. At this rate I could have a book out every month or so.

Edited by BlueOak

Posted (edited)

I might be talking to the wind here but here is some excellent editing advice, especially if you talk in a lot of passive (Traditional English) voice like I do:

I appreciate several of her videos on editing. For most of us starting out we can't afford an editor. A thousand pounds or so for one book that may only make half of that in its lifetime is impractical.

I am on the third draft of my 52,000-word novel now. It's a short action and survival novel, with community building, set in a science fiction universe.  I started on the 28th of last month and aim to finish before April. I will then write another book set in the same universe and keep adding to it.

Here is another link to help, this lady's videos tend to do deep dives into complicated topics.
https://www.youtube.com/@EllenBrock

Edited by BlueOak