Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boris97921234

are we evolved to work and study so hard?

7 posts in this topic

I had this discussion with ChatGPT.:
i dont think me or human generally speaking, are evolved or wired for this much study on such a specific or niche subject...
Here is his response:

Your observation touches on a significant and often debated topic: the alignment of modern education and work systems with human evolutionary biology and psychology. Let's explore this a bit:

Evolutionary Background: Humans, for the majority of their evolutionary history, lived as hunter-gatherers. This lifestyle involved a broad range of skills necessary for survival, rather than the specialized, often niche knowledge required in many modern professions. Our ancestors learned directly from their environment and through social interactions, not in structured, formal educational settings.

Modern Education System: The modern education system, with its focus on specialization and prolonged periods of study, is a relatively recent development in human history. It was designed to meet the needs of an increasingly complex and technologically advanced society. This system can sometimes be at odds with the more generalist, varied skill set and learning style that humans evolved with.

Cognitive Load and Stress: Intensive focus on a specific or niche subject can be mentally taxing, leading to stress and burnout. This is particularly true if the subject doesn't align well with an individual's interests or innate skills. In contrast, our ancestors' learning was more experiential, diverse, and directly linked to daily life and survival.

The Need for Diversity in Learning: Humans are generally curious and adaptable, with a capacity to learn a wide array of skills and knowledge. A more diverse and experiential learning approach, one that includes practical skills, social interaction, and physical activity, might be more in line with our evolutionary predispositions.

Individual Differences: It's also important to recognize the diversity among individuals. What might be overwhelming or unfulfilling for one person could be engaging and enjoyable for another. Personal interests, abilities, and learning styles vary widely.

Your feelings might indicate a mismatch between your natural inclinations and the demands of your current educational path. It could be beneficial to explore learning and career paths that are more aligned with your interests and learning style. This could include more hands-on, experiential learning environments, interdisciplinary studies, or fields that involve a broader range of skills and activities. Remember, the goal of education and work should not only be productivity but also personal fulfillment and well-being.

I knew It and I thought I was lazy..

Iam just not wired to work hard 

Posted (edited)

Because the current education-system is so theoretical, it favors those professionals who have the professional personality of an 'expert'. Meaning, the individuals who know all of the theory and who can laser-focus on one specialization. The hierarchy this creates in the economic-system is that the bosses know more than the employees. That is the point of the exam-system and the grading-system - to establish this hierarchy in the workplace. (The fact that you are graded for 'being right' is a give-away for what the system wants you to become.) 

Is this a good thing or bad thing? I'd argue it's a good thing, because employees can do whatever little they can do, while bosses can use their superior knowledge to make sense of how the system works and give the right people the right tasks to do. And plan the entire operation for their team. This is not the problem. It's pure pragmatism for the purposes of making the economic-system function smoothly. 

The problem is that the education-system is too theoretical and it suppresses human creativity. Once we solve this problem, we will recognize more definitions of 'master' than an 'expert'. 

And, one final point - don't use this as an excuse to be lazy. You ARE wired to work hard. Your ancestors have worked way harder than you, so don't give excuses. If you have long-term patterns of laziness, it's because you've never worked hard in your life and you need to learn to discipline yourself, i.e. wake up early, go to the gym, eat healthy, put in all of the work-hours and sleep on time. Now, if you have long-term patterns of demotivation, that's different. It's because you are not passionate about what you do. This is where you need to commit to doing what you love doing, so that you can get good at it and so that it can be profitable for you. But, never forget that there are manual laborers in this world who are not passionate about what they do and they survive on minimum wage, only based on discipline and hard work. It sounds very privileged when you say that you're 'not wired for hard work'. 

Edited by mr_engineer

thank you for constructive feedback. give you a thumbs up!

As far as what my ancestors did, the discussion in Leo's Spiral Dynamics Stage Purple episode provides a good perspective. I just think that kind of lifestyle is markedly different from the artificial lifestyle of a 21st-century first-tier city that I am experiencing. I may prefer to live like how my ancestors had lived. xD

Here in Sweden soo many people are burned out and cry to their doctors to give them sick leave. It is very sad that even the best countries in the world have so many people hating what they do, nobody trained them in finding a life purpose, they just ended up is a shitty office job.

@Alexop  1st world countries are just "icing on the cake" for those who are wise and have a life purpose.

I've experienced living many years between 1st world and 3rd world countries, and the amount of fools to wise is still 90% to 10% approx in both worlds.

From my experience, I'd even argue that there are way more wiser people in the 3rd world countries, because they have to face hardships more often and at a younger age. They're also not as spoilt with the excess materialistic fruits of superior politics.

Edited by EdgeGod900

God likes to cosplay as a human O.o xDxD