ladyneptune

Memento

10 posts in this topic

Bringing an old memory back to mind would, you might think, strengthen it. But not so - when memories are recalled, they enter a surprisingly vulnerable state, when they can be reshaped or even rewritten. It takes a while for the memory to become strengthened anew, through a process called reconsolidation. Memories aren't just written once, but every time we remember them.

This system allows us to rapidly update our memories with new information, for a more flexible and adaptable brain. It also means that the very act of remembering provides a valuable window of opportunity, during which memory can be manipulated. Now, a group of US scientists have done just that, exploiting this window to remove a simple fearful memory using fresh information, rather than drugs or invasive surgery.

https://www.discovermagazine.com

Ever since I learned this it has changed the way I think about the past.

I had a decent memory as a kid, could remember heaps of everyday things like dates and phone numbers, names and faces and then as I got older/stressful life events it was never quite the same.  I always thought it was the stress that caused the change, maybe in part it was, could it be that it caused the memory to be rewritten with a 'blank'? 

The memories that I have of the past are questionable now, seeing as at most we only remember about half of what happened accurately. 

Super interesting to think about especially as humans spend a lot of energy arguing about the truth - which clearly doesn't exist in our memories!  With the addition of technology we have photographic, sound and video surveillance to lean on for facts, but it goes a long way to explain how so many people have been wrongly accused and incarcerated (for example). 

Trauma is an interesting area for memory research as many people are often debilitated by their memories,

Having this knowledge about the nature of reality could help to reshape future experiences.

@ladyneptune

This reminds me of this. I let the AI speak for it:

It's true that the human brain undergoes a significant period of pruning during early childhood, which involves the elimination of unused synapses and neurons. This process, known as synaptic pruning, is thought to play a crucial role in optimizing brain function and efficiency.

The idea that irrelevant information triggers neuron deletion isn't entirely accurate. Pruning is more likely driven by a combination of factors, including:

Activity-dependent selection: Synapses that are frequently used are strengthened, while those that remain inactive are weakened and eventually eliminated. This ensures that the brain prioritizes connections that are essential for processing the information relevant to a child's environment.

Competition for resources: The brain has limited resources available for maintaining neural connections. Pruning helps to allocate these resources effectively by eliminating unproductive connections and focusing on those that are most important for learning and development.

Critical periods: Different brain regions go through pruning at different times during development. This allows for the optimization of specific functions as they become more relevant to the child's experience.

Understanding synaptic pruning is an ongoing area of research, and the exact mechanisms involved are still being explored. However, it's important to remember that this process is a natural and vital part of brain development, helping to shape the efficient and specialized neural networks that underpin our cognitive abilities.

If you're interested in learning more about this topic, I can provide you with some additional resources from reputable scientific sources. Just let me know!

6 hours ago, Epikur said:

@ladyneptune

This reminds me of this. I let the AI speak for it:

Oh that's really cool, I think I've heard of synaptic pruning before but have never looked into it properly, probably goes a fair way to explain why some memories stay and others fade, possibly though irrelevance.  The ones we keep seem to support a world view which is in reality a distortion, but likely connected to basic survival drives.  

I'm starting to think more about memory and how it is connected to emotional states - for example if we feel angry because someone was rude - can we really rely on that memory of that event? Questioning the accuracy of these emotional reactions could lead to having a more peaceful life, something in letting go of the belief that our memories are good evidence. 

It would be cool to read more scientific papers if you could link them in the thread!  Thanks!

Now take the paradigm into account, that everything is created spontaneously, including your memories. 

Posted (edited)

@ladyneptune
From AI bing:

Synaptic pruning is the process of eliminating extra synapses in the brain that are not needed or used. Synapses are the structures that allow neurons to communicate with each other. Synaptic pruning is important for brain development, learning, and adaptation12

There are many theories about why and how synaptic pruning occurs. Here are some of them:

One theory is that synaptic pruning is influenced by environmental factors and experiences. Synapses that are frequently used and have strong connections are more likely to be preserved, while those that are less active or weak are more likely to be pruned away. This theory follows the “use it or lose it” principle3

Another theory is that synaptic pruning is a way of optimizing brain function and efficiency. By removing unnecessary or redundant synapses, the brain can reduce the metabolic cost and noise associated with neural activity. This theory suggests that synaptic pruning is a trade-off between complexity and performance4

A third theory is that synaptic pruning is related to the onset of certain disorders, such as schizophrenia and autism. Some researchers have proposed that abnormal synaptic pruning may lead to either excessive or insufficient elimination of synapses, resulting in impaired brain function and cognition. This theory implies that synaptic pruning is a delicate and critical process that needs to be regulated carefully24

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaptic_pruning

https://www.healthline.com/health/synaptic-pruning#

www.nhnscr.org/blog/synaptic-pruning-a-comprehensive-guide/

Edited by Epikur

On 1/2/2024 at 9:26 PM, Ima Freeman said:

Now take the paradigm into account, that everything is created spontaneously, including your memories. 

As in nothing existed before this moment? Memories are a construct to support the illusion of time?

Terrifying, I am so interested in this concept but it calls the nature of reality and existence into question...

@Ima Freeman lets not fall into conflation. in the Absolute there is no need of memory and all memory are just dream stuff , but in the acualized finite form of a creature there are a system to run and it works in a certian way to keep the creature alive, God cares about its creations and designed a system to keep things running. You dont think that I am writing this text without using some energy source , food, eletric current in my body dont you?

2 hours ago, ladyneptune said:

As in nothing existed before this moment? Memories are a construct to support the illusion of time?

Terrifying, I am so interested in this concept but it calls the nature of reality and existence into question...

It's Idealism. Things do not exist if they are not present right now.

1 hour ago, Rafael Thundercat said:

@Ima Freeman lets not fall into conflation. in the Absolute there is no need of memory and all memory are just dream stuff , but in the acualized finite form of a creature there are a system to run and it works in a certian way to keep the creature alive, God cares about its creations and designed a system to keep things running. You dont think that I am writing this text without using some energy source , food, eletric current in my body dont you?

Normally not, only if I concentrate on the above paradigm.