Majed

do religious spiritual practices work ?

7 posts in this topic

do religious spiritual practices like going to church or the islamic prayer work ? I've done a lot of spiritual work (meditation and contemplation) and i notice that when i go to church or when i do the islamic prayer, a shift in awareness. 

Does this liturgy work ? is it a genuine spiritual practice ? i would tend to say yes. 

if that's the case then religious people, like for example people who attend church regularly, or people who do the 5 islamic prayers everyday, have a different state of consciousness than people who don't practice spirituality at all. 

Edited by Majed

They can bring comfort to people. But they aren't needed to be healthy though. 

Of course it works, otherwise billions of people wouldn’t be doing it.

Like going to work, it works because people need a sense of identity and purpose.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

22 minutes ago, bebotalk said:

They can bring comfort to people. But they aren't needed to be healthy though. 

If someone has been going to church for 6 decades of their life and they just stopped doing it, they’d be dead.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

@Yimpa it works in a spiritual sense, like meditation, contemplation, psychedelics...

@Majed it also affects how society as a whole operates. These billions of people ain’t going to work if they lost their religious identity and realized that being hippies is the answer. They’d be off living in a cave or cars being hungry hungry hippos.

Spoiler alert: I don't have the answer, and I don't seperate religion from it's pratices. Because what I mean by religion is way of doing something, which is a pretty old homeric definition and I am sorry if this post confused you.

Now first I suppose, there are multiple means and perhaps universes for something to be in a working condition, let's look at like this;

Well, religion is  the ultimate testesterone drop we all need in a sense a self governance for non-elite class, because if you don't educate masses about the external and internal reality  which  I believe to be the same thing, they would just go on rampage and do all kind stuff, which means no city ''civilization'' for you. I think sumerians noticed this first and they build their cities and ruled these cities  by the right of gods. It's a very strict  top down hierarchy no matter you are a king or a slave you are in it. That's the game designed by clergy.

What I find the interesting is their motive for inventing the religion, I guess they wanted to be out of vicious food chain, perhaps they didn't like the idea of human eating fellow human (sounds vegan to me lol), also back then there was no idea of human, it was animal eating animal. So they refused food chain idea and builded cities and they merge religion  with the city. If you look at epic Gilgamesh there are definitely these motives, especially with the part of Enkidu, it's all about how you make a man out of a beast.

Problem with religion or reality which is inseparable from the perspective of masses, nobody governs the elite, they become too parasitic and society collapses or alternatively  someone comes along and suggests a new science like galileo, ancient greek philisophers or leo... Which is also a fundemental shift in reality becasue science and reality woven together for example:

During the days of ancient greek sun was no sun, it was golden chariot of Apollo, if you gonna do naughty stuff, he would see your deeds from above and report back to zeus at night... So you wouldn't make nasty stuff if you don't want to be punished by allmighty zeus. Then a scientist came along and said hey look, I now what this is, it's not what you think, this behaves like a hot rock if you examine closely you can see it too, from then on sun was the hot rock for some clever people and crimes skyrocketed because what they noticed zeus gives no fuck. This new science ereased whole homeric tradition  remorselessly which was their religion. The same for Rome pagan gods were the Rome they ressisted so hard in the end they had to accept this new science which called christianity.

Nowdays I think we are still very religious, I am not talking about orthodox religions. Now we are seeing different kind of religion in germany some call it ''klima religion'' whole environmentalism turned into a religion, this time we make our examinations via technological measurements and if you don't come to same conclusion that's bad for you...Here you go new religion, new epistemological field.

Now this is perfect finally we get to know this ''hot rock'' better but there is a big but.. How are we gonna make this new measurements or tech to work? I have concerns because we don't have  single tech that isn't military related.