KoryKat

Whats your solution to the hard problem of consciousness?

104 posts in this topic

My intuition is that the so called 'hard problem ' is in fact a pseudo-problem born of bad framing.

Namely, it comes from trying to understand our conscious experience from the standpoint of a metaphysical (or 'outside-in') framework, rather than from a phenomenological ('inside-out') framework.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

1 hour ago, Nilsi said:

Exactly!

This is precisely the role of the philosopher though:

“acting in a non-present fashion, therefore against time and even on time, in favour (I hope) of a time to come;“

“The places of thought are the tropical zones, frequented by the tropical man, not temperate zones or the moral, methodical or moderate man;“

“[T]rue philosophy, as a philosophy of the future, is no more historical than it is eternal: it must be untimely, always untimely” - Gilles Deleuze

This is THE biggest blindspot in any contemporary discussion about „wisdom.“ All these „tier 2 philosophers“ (Wilber, Vervaeke, McGillchrist — I certainly don’t buy the „Master and his Emissary“ cop-out, etc.) ever rave about is the enlightenment (Eastern) conception of wisdom, while completely ignoring the entire Western (Faustian/Promethean) project that (rightfully) conceptualizes wisdom as inherently dangerous and transgressive. These people are bastardizing philosophy, if you ask me.

When you frame it that way, my peak philosophical insights must have occured back when I was a chronic weed smoker and had the emotional stability of an emaciated Jenga Tower (I'm being a bit facetious, because a was essentially kid back then, and weed is weed. But I might as well since we seem to have reached some kind of common ground).

When I try to remember my most profound insights, I run into the problem of 1. not remembering them (because weed), 2. mostly remembering trivial stoner thoughts ("wasting time is because of a lack of planning"; "rivers are machines that run on gravity"; etc.), and 3. remembering hypotheses that lack any specificity or are simply trivial ("this and that can be explained by glutamate vs. GABA transmission"). The one insight that stuck with me most from that era and which ended up being corroborated is "the perception of time depends on access to memories", which came as a result of the only time I deliberately sat down to contemplate a question for an extended period of time (probably only for like 5 minutes to be fair, but still, the intention was there, and it seemed like a satisfying answer).

So in summary, despite my mind being an inexhaustable fount of novelty, I wasn't a very clear thinker. I even had this thought explictly one time: "this weed is making me have so many thoughts all the time, I must be getting a huge advantage over other people", which sort of illustrates my lack of "clear" insight. It would've been true if most of those thoughts weren't garbage (or maybe I'm being too hard on myself).

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

At least the one that work for me is letting go technique from David Hawkins books.

Without that practice I still unable to grasp lot of things, missing lot of good things in life that is via consciousness I believe.

I might be hard to evolve and become more mature without the practice of letting go. 

Whenever I talk to ppl about it and they always dont care why letting go its important aspect of ego growth. To become mature and healthy ego at least.

I am not letting go of the worldy things yet. But I can say I never feel so much better in my life.

Intellectualization not really part of consciousness work for me. It is have different effect for me.