Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Harikrishnan

Yawning During Meditation

4 posts in this topic

So for past few weeks during meditation I feel like I can't fill my lungs with enough air (during start of meditation my deep breath is ok). It's almost as though the focus on the breath sparks this involuntary reaction, (and its kind of feel like a  brick on chest) and during meditation iam yawning couple of times . Does anyone have a similar experience? (I first thought like my heart chakra is out of balance and all for that i did chakra meditation but it didnt help.) 

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

@Harikrishnan I yawn everytime I meditate. I use it as an indicator of how relaxed I am. Usually a tear comes down with a yawn and it's quite lovely. It's a good thing. A sort of mental release into deep relaxation. 

I used to experience constant yawning during my meditation practices years ago. 

I would sit and while breathing, I would yawn, and yawn, and yawn, until my eyes were watering. If someone walked in on my it would look like I was crying. I would also experience discomfort in the breath like I could not fill my lungs and there was a general sense of it feeling off. 

Nowadays I do not yawn as frequently during meditation, but it can occur frequently during emotional release work or when releasing during meditation. Apparently yawning is a bit of a mystery according to science? I believe strongly that at least one primary purpose, if not its central purpose, is facilitating energic/emotional/physiological release. Certain kinds of breathing allow for greater release. I think yawning does this. Sometimes when going through emotional traumas, during the aftermath I walk around spontaneously yawning, and with each yawn I can feel the left-over discomforts in my body dissolving. 

I believe that during periods of meditation/release, I was processing a lot of tension and physiological tightness in my body, and the constant yawning was through releasing that. Through that period, eventually the tightness in my chest loosened up, as did my breathing. Both comfort and breathing capacity increased permanently and I do not go into the yawning fits when sitting down every time. 

In my experience it is not an imbalance necessarily but a natural bodily mechanism. I would allow it. 

Edited by Arman

Thank u Arman and Justin. i first thought like God iam having a heart problem. Damn Google ?

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi