Dioxide2533

Shellenberger: Better to believe that we have Free Will to be better people

5 posts in this topic

The belief in Free Will is actually what really matters because if you believe in free will then you're more likely to take responsibility for your actions you're less likely to engage in the kind of antisocial behaviors that are so destructive of society and of yourself so maybe Free Will is a myth but it's a good myth to have

if someone were to tell me that that they don't have free will and they're not responsible for them their actions I would be very careful around them

Thoughts on this?

Personally I feel disgusted by how he cares less about the truth and more about feeding people the story that is more beneficial, even if that is for the general good. (Although at least he is openly stating that's how he thinks so it could be worse.)

Also it makes me come to this advice: "Don't tell people that you don't believe in Free Will because they will trust you less."

It speaks to how viscerally cruel god is to its own creation by making incarnated versions of itself believe they are responsible for their actions. Rare are those who are aware of the puppet strings.

Edited by strangelooper

reason teachers say you have no free will is merely a pointer

to make you see you are a slave to your programming

most go through life not seeing they are being used

when this hits you, you act out of free will for the first time

all are free to an extent and bound to an extent

There is a funny thing with these „ no free will arguments”. Both accepting or rejecting them requires existence of free will in which they can be accepted or rejected. Thing is that all basic questions about the nature and the origins of the existence have already built-in answers. You need only to see clearly, that means to see consistent and coherent logic behind all figments of creation. And logic is always consistent and coherent, by its nature.