integral

The case against reality, How Evolution hid the truth from our eyes

8 posts in this topic

Ive been thinking of ideas for a youtube video im making and was exploring the idea that evolution naturally selected traits of perception that are vital for our survival and ignored everything else. 

The only things that were included in our perception are things that were a threat and vital for our survival, therefor most of reality is hidden from us as we lack the structure for its perception.

For example, if there was a ghost in front of us that posed no threat and had no effect on our evolutionary progress, then, according to this theory, evolution would favor humans who are unable to perceive it. This implies that a significant portion of reality could be concealed from us, not because it doesn't exist, but because our sensory and cognitive structures are not designed to detect it. This perspective suggests that our understanding of the world is limited to what has been necessary for our ancestors' survival. We are all also collectively interpreting in the same way. 

Another idea is that abilities like thinking and intuition is another selected trait that profoundly shapes our every experience, but evolution would again of only selected survival priority abilities. So we can speculate there are many other abilites just as powerful as thinking and intuition that we lack the structure to do. And possibly with AI we will be able to self-direct or design our own structure to allow for abilities outside our static structure. We can call the the ability to aquire new abilities "expansion".  To be able to expand on our own structure. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

Some loose thoughts I had while reading your post:

11 hours ago, integral said:

For example, if there was a ghost in front of us that posed no threat and had no effect on our evolutionary progress, then, according to this theory, evolution would favor humans who are unable to perceive it.

If there is some perception that has no bearing on our survival, then evolutionary processes would not favour being able to perceive it either way - it's a 50-50 chance. So we may have perceptions not directly related to survival - and spiritually related perceptions maybe one thing.

Evolution doesn't progress, it has no end goal.

most of reality is hidden from us as we lack the structure for its perception.

Natively, that is correct. But there is an argument to say that any human invention is also a product of evolution/nature. Enhancement through technology does allow us to perceive more of reality. And it's done by using a transformation process: infra-red light is converted to light we can see, and so on. You could extend the argument further and ask if there are perceptions yet to be discovered through this enhancement (expansion) process.

We are all also collectively interpreting in the same way. 

There's always variability in populations of any species, so it's quite possible some can perceive what others can't: for example see tetrachromacy. Note also, that this is an assumption based on form, so does it necessarily hold that if we have similar brains and bodies we must be perceiving similar things? If perception is relative to itself, then we could all be experiencing very different realities.

All stories and explanations are false.

@LastThursday

I ended up making the video anyways.

I tried to make it as accessible as possible for the average person while incorporating some of Leos Ideas.

1. Concept of "Nerve" (2049): Elon Musk releases the Unity Project, an experimental system connecting all living things into a single entity. This concept is called "Nerve."
  2. Expansion of Human Perception: This system allows individuals to feel and experience everything on Earth, extending human perception to an unprecedented scale.
  3. Evolution of Human Race: Technology will evolve humanity, leading to a new era beyond current human understanding.
  4. Internet of Biology: A brain-to-brain and brain-to-object interface enables direct communication and comprehension, blurring the lines between individuals.
  5. Experiential Learning via Technology: People can immerse themselves in others' experiences, gaining their skills and memories, through an app called "Tick Me."
  6. Transformation of Identity: The technology allows individuals to temporarily embody different identities, experiencing their thoughts and emotions.
  7. AI's Impact on Life and Society: AI is seen as a potential solution to many of life's challenges, offering new levels of freedom and understanding.
  8. Transcendence Beyond Human Limits: As humans evolve with AI, current adult concerns and interests may become obsolete, much like children outgrowing toys.
  9. Understanding Superior Intelligence: Connecting with minds like Einstein's could fundamentally change one's thinking process.
  10. Unlocking New Mental Abilities: The potential to develop new senses or abilities is discussed, which could dramatically alter human perception of reality.
  11. Reevaluation of Evolution and Ideas: Our current cognitive abilities are limited by evolutionary choices and suggests AI could help us transcend these limitations.
  12. Mind and Matter Connection: The idea that mind and matter are interconnected and that this realization will emerge with advanced AI.
  13. Concept of the Singularity: The singularity is described as a profound merging of mind, matter, and reality, leading to a unified understanding of existence.
  14. Transformation into a Collective Mind: The culmination is the transformation into a supermind, representing the total connectivity of all existence.
Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

On 11/15/2023 at 7:22 PM, integral said:

Ive been thinking of ideas for a youtube video im making and was exploring the idea that evolution naturally selected traits of perception that are vital for our survival and ignored everything else. 

The only things that were included in our perception are things that were a threat and vital for our survival, therefor most of reality is hidden from us as we lack the structure for its perception.

For example, if there was a ghost in front of us that posed no threat and had no effect on our evolutionary progress, then, according to this theory, evolution would favor humans who are unable to perceive it. This implies that a significant portion of reality could be concealed from us, not because it doesn't exist, but because our sensory and cognitive structures are not designed to detect it. This perspective suggests that our understanding of the world is limited to what has been necessary for our ancestors' survival. We are all also collectively interpreting in the same way. 

Another idea is that abilities like thinking and intuition is another selected trait that profoundly shapes our every experience, but evolution would again of only selected survival priority abilities. So we can speculate there are many other abilites just as powerful as thinking and intuition that we lack the structure to do. And possibly with AI we will be able to self-direct or design our own structure to allow for abilities outside our static structure. We can call the the ability to aquire new abilities "expansion".  To be able to expand on our own structure. 

Evolution is not resonsilbe for this illusion.  Sometthing mystical is.  You are still stuck in the materialist paradigm.   

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

On 16/11/2023 at 1:22 AM, integral said:

most of reality is hidden from us

On 16/11/2023 at 1:22 AM, integral said:

a significant portion of reality could be concealed from us

Expressed as a percentage?

@integral I liked your video, slickly done. Future-gazing (mine!) is a fun activity. 

The idea of having new perceptions is good. Although I think that each thought or memory we have is essentially a different perception. Consciousness is unbounded in that respect.

All stories and explanations are false.

5 hours ago, Inliytened1 said:

Evolution is not resonsilbe for this illusion.  Sometthing mystical is.  You are still stuck in the materialist paradigm.   

To counter this lol, Leo has said many times that genetics play a major role in mystical skill. A donkey will never be able to do math as it lacks the capacity to do so. Most people dont have the genetics of Sadghuru and will never reach that level, at least not without exceptional effort.

Not sure if you watched the video but its intended for the general population. Its a mix of materialism as a story telling. Its more intended as a story for the imagination and not direct truth lol. 

2 hours ago, LastThursday said:

@integral I liked your video, slickly done. Future-gazing (mine!) is a fun activity. 

Thanks man! Ill look into that. :D

4 hours ago, kenway said:

Expressed as a percentage?

Infinite. So a percentage is not the right way to frame it. There is no boundary. Infinite density.

But its not really that anything is hidden from us, that we are limited to this human box/frame for the time being.

This box and direct experience is all there is, In this moment. All seeing all knowing. 

Every moment is the totality of it. 

Edited by integral

19 minutes ago, integral said:

To counter this lol, Leo has said many times that genetics play a major role in mystical skill. A donkey will never be able to do math as it lacks the capacity to do so. Most people dont have the genetics of Sadghuru and will never reach that level, at least not without exceptional effort.

I think there are many factors we dont know about.  After all being god is our true nature.