Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zoomy

Is this purpose good enough?

7 posts in this topic

I was always fascinated with video games, to the point of addiction.

In the last 5-10 years I've had tons of ideas for an amazing game I want to make.

If money wasn't a consideration, I would like to build a team and make this game a reality, but I was struggling to find the motivation to do it, mostly due to addictions and lack of focus in my personal life.

I get excited thinking and designing ideas for the game, and I have so many things I want to put in it, with complex systems complimenting each other and a super engaging fast-paced action gameplay.

After playing for countless hours, and experiences many kinds of gameplays, I believe I can make a revolutionary game if I had the resources and resolve - the dream game for gamers of my kind.

So, I finally got to doing Leo's life purpose course, and I feel that making this game is my dream project which will have me excited waking up in the morning, so obviously it should be my life purpose, right?

However, I don't feel like it fits the criteria for a life purpose as explained by Leo.

I feel that this purpose is:

• Too selfish / low consciousness
  • Does not contribute to the world (games are addictive and are just entertainment, they don't HELP the world)

I'm feeling stuck in the process because of this conflict.

What do you think? Is this a worthy purpose?

On 12/11/2023 at 9:53 PM, Zoomy said:

I feel that this purpose is:

• Too selfish / low consciousness
  • Does not contribute to the world (games are addictive and are just entertainment, they don't HELP the world)

1. It's not too selfish. People love to play games. 

2. Even if you or society believe games are not good for people, you can try games that spread love and joy. You can shift away from violent games and focus on creating joyful, humorous, creative, bizarre, feel-good kind of games. I honestly believe they are very low in numbers. You might even be contributing a lot by shifting people addicted to violent and mature games to the ones that make us laugh and cry in Joy.

21 minutes ago, An young being said:

1. It's not too selfish. People love to play games. 

2. Even if you or society believe games are not good for people, you can try games that spread love and joy. You can shift away from violent games and focus on creating joyful, humorous, creative, bizarre, feel-good kind of games. I honestly believe they are very low in numbers. You might even be contributing a lot by shifting people addicted to violent and mature games to the ones that make us laugh and cry in Joy.

The second point is interesting and I haven't thought about, but to be honest, the games that I'm most excited to create are the fast-paced violent one.

These are the kind of games that I'm passionate about and all my ideas are about them.

If I go after something which isn't really exciting to me (but helps the world), I won't be able to follow through because of lack of passion and motivation (the follow your bliss principal).

Edited by Zoomy

@Zoomy 

1. I feel like you can override this if you did the impact statement exercise.

2. We have a lot of overlaps in our life purpose and I have a really good idea(but i'll keep it to myself), so I'll give you the scrapped ideas. One scrapped idea that I have was to provide the entertainment, but create some type of policy that shuts the game down after some time -- to prevent addiction. Another idea was to somehow curate your fast paced game so that it also improves the general learning abilities/skills of the users

PS: Leo is very very very very very good at providing the Big Picture. He has good practical advice as well. But if you want something super pedantic and detailed small picture, "Deep Work" by Cal Newport is great.

Edited by EdgeGod900

God likes to cosplay as a human O.o xDxD

@Zoomy I think you shouldn't be judgemental about the whether this purpose is good or not. If you have game ideas that are market worthy, you should absolutely do it. If the market loves your games, you'd earn maybe a ton of money.

Then you could climb out of the rat race if you choose and gradually pursue something higher. But I believe there is no external purpose other than what the consciousness that is observing the world thinks. Purpose is just a concept within people's heads, so don't let anyone tell you what you should do and just pursue what you want.

In my personal experience, I've always seen video games as something to be avoided. They suck you in, drain you, fill your mind with garbage, cause you to become more and more agitated, restless, ruins the sleep cycles... The list could go on and on. Tho I understand where the desire is coming from. I believe many gamers thought of creating a video game at least once in their gaming phase aswell. But I don't think it's smart from a big picture perspective. 

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

2 hours ago, Salvijus said:

In my personal experience, I've always seen video games as something to be avoided. They suck you in, drain you, fill your mind with garbage, cause you to become more and more agitated, restless, ruins the sleep cycles... The list could go on and on. Tho I understand where the desire is coming from. I believe many gamers thought of creating a video game at least once in their gaming phase aswell. But I don't think it's smart from a big picture perspective. 

I agree with everything you say about video games, they're like drugs and tend to create unhealthy lifestyles.

That is why I'm so conflicted about it, because it's really my passion, but what I'll be doing is try to create the ultimate drug for gamers, which is negative contribution.

14 hours ago, ted73104 said:

@Zoomy I think you shouldn't be judgemental about the whether this purpose is good or not. If you have game ideas that are market worthy, you should absolutely do it. If the market loves your games, you'd earn maybe a ton of money.

Then you could climb out of the rat race if you choose and gradually pursue something higher. But I believe there is no external purpose other than what the consciousness that is observing the world thinks. Purpose is just a concept within people's heads, so don't let anyone tell you what you should do and just pursue what you want.

About the second part - you're right, it's just an idea in my head, I'm going to pursue it simply because I want to, there is no right or wrong in the world.

I already knew it, but I wanted to see what people think about it, so thanks ;)

14 hours ago, EdgeGod900 said:

@Zoomy 

1. I feel like you can override this if you did the impact statement exercise.

2. We have a lot of overlaps in our life purpose and I have a really good idea(but i'll keep it to myself), so I'll give you the scrapped ideas. One scrapped idea that I have was to provide the entertainment, but create some type of policy that shuts the game down after some time -- to prevent addiction. Another idea was to somehow curate your fast paced game so that it also improves the general learning abilities/skills of the users

PS: Leo is very very very very very good at providing the Big Picture. He has good practical advice as well. But if you want something super pedantic and detailed small picture, "Deep Work" by Cal Newport is great.

1. I still haven't gotten to that part of the course, but I'm glad to know it's there

2. Cool to hear, and thanks for the ideas

I've read "Deep Work", great book.