Nemra

About Learning Drawing or Painting Online

7 posts in this topic

I have been searching for resources about it, but I want your advice on how to be careful about the scams. Can you really learn it by using educational platforms like SkillShare, Udemy, etc., or by joining a membership or purchasing immediately from the teachers, or do I have to go to a physical art school? I found so many resources that I feel that I can't be fooled that much, but who knows? I have been observing how they advertise or describe their work.

Edited by Understander

You can learn a tremendous amount for free just from Youtube. Learning art is simply a combination of consistent practice while learning the necessary theory. And IMO, there isn't that much theory to be learned.

It just that a lot of art skills build on top of other skills that aren't immediate obvious. For example figure drawing builds on top of general anatomical knowledge, which requires anatomical knowledge of each individual body part, which again requires understanding of basic shapes. There aren't a lot of resources that explicitly make this distinction in my experience, so learning art can end up being confusing for people new to it.

@Basman 

So from YouTube, you could only learn the fundamentals? If so, do they teach the basic skills clearly? (I can do my own search on YouTube, but I wanted to ask you first)

12 minutes ago, Understander said:

@Basman 

So from YouTube, you could only learn the fundamentals? If so, do they teach the basic skills clearly? (I can do my own search on YouTube, but I wanted to ask you first)

Some are more clear and concise then others. You'll have to just look. Not just Youtube BTW.

There are only a select few YouTube channels that I would really recommend to anyone starting out.

Before there was YouTube or even Internet, there were still masters of drawing that didn't go to art school.

@chisel

On 13/11/2023 at 4:07 PM, chisel said:

There are only a select few YouTube channels that I would really recommend to anyone starting out.

Before there was YouTube or even Internet, there were still masters of drawing that didn't go to art school.

That's so true, for example Kentaro Miura and Kim ung Gi are talented artists, Miura for making the Berzerk manga, what a fantastic manga, and Kim for being able to draw from multiple perspectives and being verg accurate in form.

@Basman

On 31/10/2023 at 9:42 PM, Basman said:

You can learn a tremendous amount for free just from Youtube. Learning art is simply a combination of consistent practice while learning the necessary theory. And IMO, there isn't that much theory to be learned.

It just that a lot of art skills build on top of other skills that aren't immediate obvious. For example figure drawing builds on top of general anatomical knowledge, which requires anatomical knowledge of each individual body part, which again requires understanding of basic shapes. There aren't a lot of resources that explicitly make this distinction in my experience, so learning art can end up being confusing for people new to it.

I agree with this. For example, the Russian human arts schooling do have those curriculums that build ontop of each fundamental art principle, block by block. However, the tradeoff is that there will be bias for traditional methods of drawing, and the teachings would be expensive if you do want to specialize later on.