Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deamordeamar

Transitioning from prison officer to web programmer

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I'm seeking advice on a decision that has become more challenging than I initially thought. A year ago, I began my journey to transition from being a prison officer in Romania to a web programmer (I’m almost 26 years old male). I'm comparing the pros and cons of both positions:

My Current Job as a Prison Officer

Advantages:

- Monthly salary of 2,000€.

- Possibility of retirement in 20-25 years with a monthly pension of around 2,000€.

- Comfortable work environment with manageable stress levels and a social setting.

Disadvantages:

- No possibility for further financial advancement.

- Routine and repetitive tasks every day. I don’t like it anymore.

Job as a Web Programmer

Advantages:

- Potential to evolve to a monthly salary of 5,000-7,000€ within the next 4 years, considering my current 1-year experience. From there, there may be opportunities that can make life more exciting and meaningful.

Disadvantages:

- I'm not particularly passionate about coding.

- I'm concerned about a potentially isolating and impersonal work environment.

- Job stability may be an issue.

- I would need to develop a retirement plan independently.

*I know I’m focusing a lot on money, but I don’t have other passions other than studying life/reality more and developing my consciousness. And for now I want to just enjoy the human life. I feel I need to build a stronger real-life foundation, and it seems that money will give me more freedom. I feel a bit of guilt saying that my focus is on me because it is egotistical, given that I grew up in a Christian household and all my life I knew I had to live for others (this was the reason I become a prison worker). But lately I don’t have the motivation to focus so much on the good of others.

I'd appreciate any insights or suggestions you might have. Thank you!

40 hours a week are almost 2000 hours a year of doing something that you almost hate. No money in the world is worth that. I would change my job into one that I  at least like.  Talk to many progammers and see if you would like to be in their position, req research.  Part time would be a solution, you will do more than well with 2500-3000 euros in Romania. Try not get absorbed into earning tons of money, but into creating a meanigful life. I think hiring a good career coach will help more than some general advice from strangers. Good luck man!

Edited by Alexop

Money is number 1 as long as you save it up and don’t waste it. I regret pursuing art and spirituality and life purpose.

First, money first. Developing maturity, wisdom, work ethic and marketable skills.  

I think it’s a good thing. Money and mental health are the most important thing for a human. The rest is mostly stupidity. 

Like, spirituality art and life purpose are beautiful things in theory. But, there is a brutal reality that so many people want to earn a living from that. But, reality doesn’t reward 99% of us that try. So it’s dumb.

Art and spirituality should be done for their own sake. 

(sorry I’m venting haha).

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@deamordeamar where you expect to make those 5000 to 7000 coding??? I almost spill my coffee when I read that.

I guess getting a remote job from USA? Because if not you absolutely won't do that anywhere with 4 year experience. Don't trust statistics from the internet, they are boosted I never understand why.

I'm making 24K with almost 2 year experience, and my country has above salary average than Romania. Just to give you a heads up. But my country is pretty shitty in salary, you obviously could do more by getting remote jobs from top paying countries like Germany or UK. Still, no where near those 5000-7000. 

Also, If you are not that passionate about coding, forget again about making big bucks of it... You can get paid well but only if you are significantly better than the majority.

Unless you think you have the skill to land a remote Job from USA changing your career to coding for the money, when you already are making 2000€ in a comfortable position, is really reeeally dumb imo...but to each their own. I absolutely wouldn't do it, I would stay in your current job and create a business or find a job that actually makes money and is actually enjoyable/makes you passionate 

Edited by Javfly33