at_anchor

Is it possible to learn two languages at the same time?

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

'I have been using Pimsleur for almost 3 months in order to learn Spanish and I think Pimsleur is the best method out there. I think it is because it makes you study everyday. Additionally, the words that Pimsleur taught goes to the long term memory and you won’t forget anything.

The reason why I am posting here is that I need your suggestions. Thanks to Pimsleur, learning Spanish is a hobby for me and it is in my daily routine anymore. Even though learning Spanish is a passion for me, Spanish is not a valid language for business in my country. I need to learn German at least intermediate level in order to get better job opportunities.

Here is my questions:

Approximately, 10-11 days later I am going to finish Pimsleur Spanish Level 3. Should I start to Pimsleur German Level 1 while I study Spanish Level 4?

If I should stop study Spanish, how can I maintain my Spanish knowledge if I start learning German?

If I shouldn’t stop study Spanish, when should I start learning German? After level 4 or 5 or later?

If anyone experiences such a situation, I would be very happy to receive their suggestions.

Thank you.'

Edited by at_anchor

I hoped that one day I'll move to Spain, get married, get Spanish citizenship, travel, have a job, intuitively learn etymology of the English language and one day go to England for something more in life. But now I'm totally sceptical. It has a high unemployment rate, problems with corruption, it doesn't have a great living standard and I'm too old now, too screwed up.

If I start learning German, my English will worsen, but Germanic languages motivate me at this point in life, while this language doesn't.

It's probably in the realm of human possiblity, but learning one language is hard. Let alone two. I speak a few languages and learning one at the moment. But you are probably the first to attempt learning two here. So try it and let us know!

26 minutes ago, itsadistraction said:

It's probably in the realm of human possiblity, but learning one language is hard. Let alone two. I speak a few languages and learning one at the moment. But you are probably the first to attempt learning two here. So try it and let us know!

Oh, well, I wish I could. I have problems with abusive authority figures and health as a result. 

Consider how in school, you'll be assigned to learn multiple subjects "at the same time", yet you should be able to learn all the subjects.

Another example: English is my second language. My mother tongue didn't really suffer when I started learning English.

However, the thing about languages is that if you don't use it actively, it will not develop very far. So if the time you spend on one language takes up the time you spend on another, then that has an impact.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

17 hours ago, at_anchor said:

If I should stop study Spanish, how can I maintain my Spanish knowledge if I start learning German?

There's nothing like bilingualism to expand the brain. 

The trick with learning any language is using it regularly and with native speakers. There really is no better way.

There's nothing wrong with learning two or more languages simultaneously - either it takes up double the time or your learn half as slowly. If the languages are similar, say Spanish and Portuguese, then there will be a lot of crossover in terms of grammar and lexicon - which obviously helps.

16 hours ago, at_anchor said:

If I start learning German, my English will worsen

There is some cognitive interference if words are similar in two languages, but it's not as bad as you think: native speakers will correct you soon enough. I think actually, your English will improve.

All stories and explanations are false.

1 hour ago, at_anchor said:

Oh, well, I wish I could. I have problems with abusive authority figures and health as a result. 

This took a weird and dark turn? Are you ok? Get your mental health in order first languages are less important. 

What kind of health conditions?

How can I improve my native language? I don't read books regularly, I don't write essays, I don't know how to write and I rarely speak in front of people. I have no interests, only problems that give me excuses for work.

@Carl-Richard So you clearly said that learning two languages at once shouldn't be a problem. If I learned them, I would know four languages. Wouldn't that be too much;)

@LastThursday

On 9/19/2023 at 1:50 PM, LastThursday said:

Of course there is... It could be math and science or acting and singing or reading a lot of literature.

The trick with learning any language is using it regularly and with native speakers. There really is no better way.

That's good advice, but I thought that reading the Bible and other forms of literature and then writing an essay about what I read was an even better way to improve my language.

It's just hard work for which I don't have the right conditions.

There is some cognitive interference if words are similar in two languages, but it's not as bad as you think: native speakers will correct you soon enough. I think actually, your English will improve.

Thank you. You said it well (you think well). However, my English would improve more by learning Spanish than German because it is based on Latin. I'm just a bit more passionate about learning German than Spanish.

@itsadistraction

On 9/19/2023 at 3:15 PM, itsadistraction said:

This took a weird and dark turn? Are you ok? 

Sorry for taking a weird and dark turn! I am okay, but not all the time. I get frustrated when I can't do what I set out to do in a day, because I have low energy, little to no exercise, bad concentration, and it is kind of sad to hear but also my access to books is limited now, etc.

Edited by at_anchor

16 minutes ago, at_anchor said:
2 hours ago, LastThursday said:

Of course there is... It could be math and science or acting and singing or reading a lot of literature.

Lost in translation I think.

27 minutes ago, LastThursday said:

I'll try to translate better. Language encompasses everything, including math and science, so there basically is no other way to expand your brain other than through language. I hope I got it.

Oh no, I didn't, you said bilingualism.

43 minutes ago, LastThursday said:
1 hour ago, at_anchor said:
3 hours ago, LastThursday said:

Oh right, you said "there is nothing like bilingualism" to expand the brain. You didn't say it is the best way to expand the brain! Hahah I got it, sorry.

14 minutes ago, at_anchor said:
  43 minutes ago, LastThursday said:

Sorry I was teasing. It's a bad habit. Those pesky English idioms.

How long does it take to learn another language with Pimsleur?How long does it take to master it? 

Edited by at_anchor
Emotional baggage

Does anyone think they can just show up in front of any restaurant in Germany, speaking English as a lingua franca, and get a job just as easily as you would if you spoke German?

My answer is no. People really like it when you can speak their language, and not speaking German creates problems with teamwork.

Ah, I feel like I didn't sleep last night. I didn't that much, but I should feel good.

Edited by at_anchor