EugeneTheSage

I fear that everything would be figured out in 20 years [limiting belief]

6 posts in this topic

I`m a 3D modeler passionate about steampunk, baroque/Victorian ornaments, XX century vehicles. I'm also want to learn a 3D software called Houdini and become motion designer and create psychedelic videos.

I see more and more amazing artworks in these areas. I fear that in 5 years, let alone 20 years every type of artwork will be created, especially with the advance of AI, and there would be no point in making any new artwork. I know this belief is inherently false, but it doesn't get to me on an emotional level. Maybe that's because my progress is slow. Sometimes I remember my ideas and understand that no one can really implement them in real life because they are quite unique, but I easily forget about this.

What can you guys add to this?

It's truly hard to know for sure. But you should pursue that passion regardless, if that's a real strength of yours.

You can use AI to outsource your work. Ultimately it's not people vs AI, it people who use AI vs people who don't. 

Nothing will be figured out ever, although, when I had your limiting belief, I wrote a song that was partly about it. "Let me go. Let me go. There's nothing here for me, there's nothing, nothing I don't know." 

Edited by jdc7733

On 8/19/2023 at 6:34 AM, EugeneTheSage said:

I fear that in 5 years, let alone 20 years every type of artwork will be created, especially with the advance of AI, and there would be no point in making any new artwork.

Art = ideas plus techniques.

In order for no new art to arise, all ideas and techniques would have to be exhausted.  This is impossible unless Western civilization totally goes in the crapper.

AI art doesn't encompass "art" -- it's one type of art.  Secondly, it's derivative, it doesn't create new ideas.  In order for AI to create new forms of art, whoever programmed it would have to brilliant enough himself to create new forms of art (highly unlikely.)

The problem (that AI will replace jobs) will eventually affect everyone, not just art, so this is an issue that worth thinking about deeply.I assume you don't just worry about money, but also about being/feeling useful.

I havent thought about it deeply yet, but my surface level thoughts on this topic is this:There are 2 main things that comes to my mind regarding this "AI will replace everything" problem:

1) I havent seen or heard any good argument yet that would actually prove / demonstrate that AI will definitely replace most jobs in the next 10-20 years in a way, where there will be no value or need for any human thinking or input. There is a fuckton of speculation and a lot of built in assumption around this topic, and speculation alone is far from actually giving a good reason for something or different from actually proving something.

2) Regardless if my 1st point is true or not, I think there are unique things to us, that wont be completely replaceable. For example , just mentioning 2 from the top of my head 1) - your living experience and 2) The uniqueness and power of distributed cognition or in other words   our collaboration with each other and with the machines . I can't tap into your living experience. I might be able to gather data about it in various ways, but that wont fully capture the experience itself and because you have a unique history and a unique living experience, you can provide a unique input and take on certain things and that in and of itself is valuable and makes you valuable.

For the "being useful" part, the answer is  unfortunately this: we have to adapt, there is no way around it. we have to let go of our attachments to certain jobs/activities and focus on either merging with AI or collaborating with AI and with each other even more, because that will create unique synergistic effects.

Edited by zurew