Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SQAAD

Is Modafinil Safe for the Heart

4 posts in this topic

Is Modafinil Safe for the heart? I've taken from 50mg up to 200mg. 

I've heard that people with heart issues should avoid it. But I don't understand/know the reasoning behind this argument. 

The 200mg dose makes me feel a slight pressure sensation in my heart. It doesn't feel bad bad but still worries me. I guess my blood pressure goes up. I have no clue really. Would love some constructive feedback. 

Also i drink coffee. Don't know if it contributes to the sensation. Also the sensation lasts a couple of hours only. 

It is a stimulant, it increases the energy expenditure therefore the blood flow, therefore the heart rate.
In the event of an overdose, or if you have problems managing the rhythm of the heart, it can escalate into a heart attack.

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK531476/

<quote>

Contraindications

There are few, if any, absolute contraindications to the use of modafinil. However, the following is a list of relative contraindications, cautions, and special considerations: 

• Dermatological reaction: If serious rash including Stevens-Johnson syndrome develops, discontinue modafinil at the first sign of rash, unless the rash is clearly not drug-related.
  • Angioedema and Anaphylaxis Reactions: If suspected, discontinue modafinil.
  • Multiorgan Hypersensitivity Reactions: If suspected, discontinue modafinil.
  • Persistent Sleepiness: Monitor patients frequently for a degree of sleepiness and, if appropriate, recommend patients to avoid engaging or driving in any other potentially dangerous activity.
  • Cardiovascular disease: In patients with preexisting cardiovascular conditions, consider increased monitoring. Modafinil is not recommended in patients with documented left-ventricular hypertrophy or a history of the previous cardiotoxicity related to psychostimulant use. It should be used with caution in patients with uncontrolled hypertension, unstable angina, or recent myocardial infarction.
  • Psychiatric disorders: Modafinil should be used with caution in patients with a history of psychosis and/or mania. Such patients should be monitored for hallucinations, delusions, mania, aggression, and suicidal ideation upon starting modafinil. Discontinuation is advised if these symptoms develop.
  • Tic disorders: Limited evidence suggests that all CNS stimulants may exacerbate tics in patients with pre-existing tic disorders. A baseline assessment of tics is recommended before initiating treatment.

Sounds like you should be safe if you don't fall into the list but be careful and use common sense - if you're getting too many symptoms, cut the dose or cut it out altogether 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569

6 hours ago, Michael569 said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK531476/

<quote>

Contraindications

There are few, if any, absolute contraindications to the use of modafinil. However, the following is a list of relative contraindications, cautions, and special considerations: 

• Dermatological reaction: If serious rash including Stevens-Johnson syndrome develops, discontinue modafinil at the first sign of rash, unless the rash is clearly not drug-related.
  • Angioedema and Anaphylaxis Reactions: If suspected, discontinue modafinil.
  • Multiorgan Hypersensitivity Reactions: If suspected, discontinue modafinil.
  • Persistent Sleepiness: Monitor patients frequently for a degree of sleepiness and, if appropriate, recommend patients to avoid engaging or driving in any other potentially dangerous activity.
  • Cardiovascular disease: In patients with preexisting cardiovascular conditions, consider increased monitoring. Modafinil is not recommended in patients with documented left-ventricular hypertrophy or a history of the previous cardiotoxicity related to psychostimulant use. It should be used with caution in patients with uncontrolled hypertension, unstable angina, or recent myocardial infarction.
  • Psychiatric disorders: Modafinil should be used with caution in patients with a history of psychosis and/or mania. Such patients should be monitored for hallucinations, delusions, mania, aggression, and suicidal ideation upon starting modafinil. Discontinuation is advised if these symptoms develop.
  • Tic disorders: Limited evidence suggests that all CNS stimulants may exacerbate tics in patients with pre-existing tic disorders. A baseline assessment of tics is recommended before initiating treatment.

Sounds like you should be safe if you don't fall into the list but be careful and use common sense - if you're getting too many symptoms, cut the dose or cut it out altogether 

Thank you.

Michael this drug has been a pain in the a$$..  Because it so easily messes up your sleep lol. I took 200mg one day and no problems. The next day I took same dose and at night I woke up after 4 hours of sleep feeling like crap lol. 

I've found out how the drug builds in your system and can stay for days. 

Very tricky drug. Only if you take like 50mg per day you don't have to worry. 

What's your take on it? Have you personally used this medicine? 

Edited by SQAAD