Hardkill

Statutory minimum wages are not needed to pay everyone a fair living wage/salary

7 posts in this topic

Apparently, a nation may not need to have minimum wages/salary laws that state specifically what the actual number or numbers should be reduce or prevent excess wealth inequality.

The Scandinavian countries actually have no minimum wage laws like the US, Canada, UK, or many of the EU countries do. Yet, all of the Nordic countries have such good pro-labor union laws and strong labor unions that every employee in each of those countries are paid good fair living wages/salaries through excellent collective bargaining agreements.

https://www.ilo.org/global/topics/wages/minimum-wages/setting-machinery/WCMS_460934/lang--en/index.htm

Edited by Hardkill

Not a personal attack here, but I find the Scandinavians being endlessly cited for so many policies kind of intellectually lazy, considering the history they've gone through and geopolitical goldmine they struck. Of course things will always look good when you only bring up the best example. Comparing nations is like apples and oranges though. They are still vastly unique no matter how many similarities you find.

Also I really think people need to swallow the uncomfortable pill and accept the nature of our condition. Human society is a hierarchy and always has been for hundreds of thousands of years. Those at the bottom suffer the most and maybe need to suffer to serve the use of everyone else so we can make progress that will eventually bring everyone up together, like a tide that raises all boats.

In a lot of cases their struggles are systemic, but in a lot of cases it's NOT. Some people have plenty of opportunity but are just plain stupid/low consciousness and squander their lives. No matter what you present or what resources you offer, some people just can't help themselves.

Also notice how almost every attempt to majorly upend our hierarchies ends in disaster with tens of millions dead.

Just keep the government the fuck out of the economy lol.

hrhrhtewgfegege

9 hours ago, Hardkill said:

The Scandinavian countries actually have no minimum wage laws like the US, Canada, UK, or many of the EU countries do

They do have minimums wage implemented through agreements with the workers as said in the article.

Corporations do get bailed out by govt so it's okay to mandate a min wage. It's long gone when min wage should be doubled. 

4 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

They do have minimums wage implemented through agreements with the workers as said in the article.

Corporations do get bailed out by govt so it's okay to mandate a min wage. It's long gone when min wage should be doubled. 

Right. That's what I said in my OP.

7 hours ago, Hardkill said:

Right. That's what I said in my OP.

Such sort of corporate & employee agreements do not work in any other country. 

So the state need to step in on behalf of the employee to mandate min wages. 

On 8/10/2023 at 5:30 AM, Roy said:

So anarchism?

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

On 10.8.2023 at 6:30 AM, Roy said:

If you insist on giving Macchiavellian psychopaths even more power, fine.

The only thing preventing this type from gutting the lower and middle class alive are antitrust/consumer-protection laws, welfare programs, human rights, etc. 

Get rid of these checks and balances and you will be in for one hell of a rude awakening.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus