oldhandle

How do I find a "positive lesson" in major traumatic events in my childhood?

5 posts in this topic

The title is basically everything. I was born with a deformity that needed years of surgeries which caused me unexplainable amounts of physical and mental pain. My dad died when I was 5. I'm being asked to find a "positive lesson" in these instances and I'm honestly coming up with nothing - they were negative and life would have been surely better without them. Can anyone assist me? Thank you. 

That's easy. These experiences shaped your character, made you tougher, made you more experienced and compassionate. And if they didn't yet, they can in the future.

Just the fact that you are forced to accept such a difficult past can make you a stronger, better person.

Negative stuff happens in life but when you face and overcome that with character, integrity, and positivity -- that's the real gold that makes life good.

As another example, you could share your story with others and how you overcame it, and that will inspire and help others. Which in turn gives you meaning and satisfaction.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Thank you for sharing :x

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

I think having the intention of finding a positive lesson is already a very good start. The lessons usually arise in retrospect so you don't really know until you've reinterpreted these events into something more positive, but you can only really get there if you have the intention to do so. So it's a natural consequence of becoming more mature in a sense.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop