LSD-Rumi

I have too much blood, should I do cupping?

10 posts in this topic

My hemoglobin level is like 18g/dl which is the upper limit for males. I was thinking about donating some blood, but I read some studies about the health benefits of cupping, but I am still skeptical, so what do you think?

Are you hydrated enough? High Hb levels or High total erythrocyte count could be indicative of chronic dehydration

Could also be indicative of poor blood oxygenation - are you in a good physical/athletic shape overall or do you get easily winded upon exertion and does your heart rate insanely rise when climbing a set of 5-6 staircases? Ever measured your Vo2 max? 

Just some suggestions - could be none of that. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 No, I am in good shape, and I never complain of any physical symptoms when exercising, I drink plenty of water and I don't smoke. I think I am genetically like this. 

Anyways, what do you think about cupping? 

First of all, 18mg/dL is still in the high-normal range for males, which in itself doesn't really say anything. The thing you have to understand about those those reference ranges for blood markers is how they come to exist in the first place. Most of these numbers are based on a set of values 95 percent of the normal population fall within. Meaning, if you drew random blood samples from 100 male individuals, 95 of them would have a hemoglobin between 14-18g/dL. Above and below that - you will find outliers and people with actual underlying conditions. Even if your hemoglobin was 18.5 or even 19, then this would not necessarily mean it's caused by a serious disease. Your body is in a constant flux - everything influences everythign else - a complex system unparallaled in the universe. That's why you always need to see these numbers in relation to other markers, symptoms and convergent medical findings. 

Questions for you:
Any symptoms? What led you to the blood-screening?

Any of those tested as well?
- Plasma volume
- RBC (Red blood cells) count
- Hematocrit
- MCHC/MCV
- Reticulocytes
- Erythropoietin 
- pO2
- Iron-panel

Do you life in high altitude?

Any big stresses/strains in your life?

Cupping evidence is extremely weak and mostly anecdotal - which doesn't mean it's bad. 
If you think it might have a benfiicial effect on you and you have the money, go for it!

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

Ive never heard of such a thing as too much blood. 

5 hours ago, LSD-Rumi said:

Anyways, what do you think about cupping? 

Didnt they get rid of blood letting in the middle ages lol? Ive done a lot of cupping where they just do the suction part and not the bleeding part and from my experience, my back does feel a lot better and Ive heard it promotes blood flow and recovery. 

Maybe try this lawlz

4 hours ago, undeather said:

Questions for you:
Any symptoms? What led you to the blood-screening?

No physical symptoms per se, but I have suffered from a lot of mental illnesses, and maybe they are related somehow. Also, Iron is not good for the body, it is a heavy metal after all.

4 hours ago, undeather said:

you have the money, go for it

It costs literally 20 dollars in my country with a massage, lol.

Edited by LSD-Rumi

What about the other questions?

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

5 hours ago, undeather said:

Any of those tested as well?
- Plasma volume
- RBC (Red blood cells) count
- Hematocrit
- MCHC/MCV
- Reticulocytes
- Erythropoietin 
- pO2
- Iron-panel

All normal.

Do you life in high altitude?

Nope.

Any big stresses/strains in your life?

I was in constant anxiety and depression in the last 5 years, so yeah I think :ph34r:

I was in constant anxiety and depression in the last 5 years, so yeah I think 

High cortisol due to stress/anxiety can cause Hb-elevation.
Since all other important markers are normal, that's the most likely explanation.
Either that and/or some genetic predisposition.

Check it again in 3 months if you are worried. 

Edited by undeather

- Rainer Maria Rilke