Butters

What is a relationship?

7 posts in this topic

I'm really curious 

1) what is your definition of a serious romantic relationship? 

2) why would you enter into one? 

3) what are the pros and cons? 

1. I once asked this question to search on Wikipedia and made a note on my Evernote to gain a basic understanding of the definition. However, based on my experience, a serious romantic relationship is a connection between two individuals who love each other and are committed to shared purposes and values in life. This entails supporting one another and being companions. It means having someone to talk to, sharing events together, engaging in sexual intimacy, and gaining experiences of connection. Additionally, it involves both teaching and learning about each other, as well as receiving feedback from someone who knows you on a more level.

2. Express your feelings, but don't enter a relationship solely out of loneliness or neediness. Prioritize self-love and personal growth. Strive for independence rather than excessive dependence. Choosing the right partner can make life easier. Having friends and a sexual partner are important aspects. Continuing your reproduction by having children is another significant reason.

3.  Pros:

• Experiencing love
  • Expressing love to someone (although love can be expressed towards anything)
  • Having a partner to talk to and engage in various activities
  • Fulfilling family purposes
  • Learning important lessons about life

Cons:

• It is possible to experience destruction or negative impacts in your life if you choose the wrong person or are unable to handle the relationship
  • Relationships can be time-consuming, particularly if you are young and should focus on what truly matters. If you don't allocate the right proportion of time and fail to prioritize your life, you may become too caught up in the relationship, unless having an intimate relationship is your highest value, which is acceptable.

@Sandy6 that's a great insight thank you 

Edited by Butters

On 7/18/2023 at 4:44 AM, Butters said:

1) what is your definition of a serious romantic relationship? 

I have no clue what a serious romantic relationship is, and I question its workability.  A lasting relationship is based on a strong bond of agreements, whether it is spoken, unspoken, or written. That is why many religious tend to have longer lasting marriages. A couple subscribes to a religion, agrees to what that religion says about marriage, and practice marriage according to what is written, or what is agreed to by the group(s) they relate to.

As for “serious”, and “romantic” … these are just words.  Ideas that require additional comparison to be of any value. For example, what does romantic mean?  It originally meant knight in shining armor. An image of a hero doing amazing things to impress and win his lady’s heart and affection.  Well, that idea has changed considerably today. As far as I can understand it, it mainly means having sex and spending some time together. And what does “serious” mean? Just sexual exclusivity and having a priority in companionship and emotional support?  Yes, these terms have far more questions than answers to me.  

2) why would you enter into one? 

I have no clue… maybe to see if it works or not or make discoveries.

3) what are the pros and cons? 

Pro: Get into some trouble to challenge the spirit to make something amazing.

Con: Not having a clue what you are getting into. One might not be willing or able to handle the troubles that could come your way.

Pro: An adventure.

Edited by Ajax

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

A relationship is where you're committed to helping and improving each others lives. If you just stay in the early dating phase and don't go further you are basically just spending time together and fucking, but have no real investment in the other persons live besides maybe hearing about it.

The pros are you can actually build something together and have someone (hopefully) reliable in your life. The cons are you lose a lot of your freedom.

hrhrhtewgfegege

5 hours ago, Roy said:

The pros are you can actually build something together and have someone (hopefully) reliable in your life. The cons are you lose a lot of your freedom.

In what ways do you lose a lot of your freedom? I have not experienced that part (yet?…) since the relationship I’m in is in the very early stages. Interestingly, though, I feel like we’ve had several deep conversations that have made us both wiser and more loving. I would have expected us to have those conversations maybe after we’ve known each other for 5-10 years, but what do I really know? (we’ve only known each other for a little over a year). 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

30 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

In what ways do you lose a lot of your freedom?

- Your free time. Less time for hobbies, working overtime, being alone, exploring. etc. Anytime you're with your partner you have to be doing things you both want to do.

- Can't flirt or be sexual with other people. Obviously.

- Can't make big financial decisions without considering them. Changing jobs, moving, etc.

- You might have to change the way you socialize and who you spend time with. Deleting social media etc.

I could go on those are just some big ones, it all depends on the person you are and are with.

Relationships are difficult things. You are sacrificing and compromising certain things for other benefits.

hrhrhtewgfegege