HMD

Is attention necessary to maintain systems?

4 posts in this topic

One thing I have heard for a long time is how everyone is after attention. But I couldn't understand the underlying reason behind that. I mean, of course attention gets them money, but is it really just about money? What about narcissists and people who can't seem to survive without constant attention? 

Upon deeper contemplation it hit me that it's about survival of the system. Every system requires input in the form of attention to survive. And there are million of systems around us that want our attention. 

Because a system fundamentally is a set of distinctions that you create in your mind. Ultimately, all systems are part of one supra-system. So, to hold those distinction and consider it real requires attention. 

For instance, think about instagram. If you spend 10 people spend their whole day of instagram, it won't survive. the only reason instagram is not only surviving, but thriving, is because millions give hours of their attention to the platform. 

Similarly, narcissists have no deep sense of self. So, they don't have a fully functioning system inside which we all need to have a normal life; This means that they require more attention relative to others. 

Now, the key thing to notice is that there are other systems that require attention. These may include things like your mind, body, room, relationships, finances, etc.

Feel free to share  your thoughts on this. 

Edited by HMD

"The wise seek wisdom, a fool has found it."

The implications and use cases of this insight are HUGE. Thank you for this insight. My main takeaway was that "Attention is the fuel for Distinction"

@HMD

Let's say I want to look good and strong to be sexier for others. I go to the gym and create the habit. Later I might be able to concentrate into my inner world. Then I might stop going to the gym and just do healthy exercises at home. So I used the survival mechanism to adjust my priorities. 

Me going to the gmy might have been very important to create the habit and learn the specifics in order to be able to use it at home.

So it can be a good thing to look for outside validation as a first step.

@Swarnim Perfect takeaway bro!

@Epikur Yeah, I mean looking for outside validation and attention is not a bad thing in the case you outlined unless it is done compulsively and at an expense of other's well-being. 

"The wise seek wisdom, a fool has found it."