JustinS

Sitting Is The New Smoking?

5 posts in this topic

Interesting video, so important to keep our legs moving and not sitting for a long duration throughout our day as it cuts alot of circulation from our hips and thighs. 

This guy is the kind of guy to find out he has cancer by google searching "causes of my cough".  He sounds paranoid.

This is basically a video on why exercise is important.  It just has a sneaky way of conveying it to you because people hate when you tell them about the benefits of exercise.  Simply standing up won't do much good either...he wants you to move...to exercise.

@Evilwave Heddy @JustinS Kelly Starett started an organisation to bring standing desks to schools in the US. He has a book called Supple Leopard which is a very good book about restoring spine and muscle integrity due to things like sitting over the course of your life. 

http://standupkids.org/

Website rekons:

Standing desks reduce BMI by 5.6% compared to sitting desks.

Normal weight kids burn between 15-25% more calories at standing desks.

Obese kids burn between 25-35% more calories.

Kids are more engaged in a standing classroom.

Standing prevents orthopedic degradation & dysfunction including back and neck pain, repetitive stress injuries, pelvic floor dysfunction, and knee & hip disorders.

Standing desks create the foundation for a movement-rich environment, and as one researcher put it, physical activity is cognitive candy.

I love the slogan and it's quite true.

Nearly 80% of all back pain, buckling knees, crooked spines, and tendonitis' are caused by too much sitting. At least it makes it's not helping in any way.

Exercise itself won't compensate for sitting for hours. It can actually make it worse. Imagine what your knees will feel when you go to do heavy back squats after having sat down the entire day - PAIN, I'm telling you!

After I started incorporating mobility exercises and movement breaks throughout the day, I've increased my range of motion and flexibility while having prevented all joint pain. I use a standing work-station, which is just amazing. It keeps me mobile and the mind stays alert as well. 

However, trading sitting for standing is still bad if you continue to be in a single position for a long period of time. You have to stay in motion throughout the day. The best position to be in is the next one. We should all pay more attention to this.

I've made an overview video of the exercises we should all do daily to compensate for sitting and standing. It's based on Tim Ferriss' book Tools of Titans.

Stay Mobile,
Stay Empowered
Siim

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w

im a trucker and can sit 10/12 hrs a day I do go to the gym but wow that's a real eye opener.