Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rd5555

Does the 40 hour rule apply to personal devleopment too?

8 posts in this topic

I understand that we shouldn't work more than 40 hours a week in careers.

I'm currently not in a career, so I have all day everyday to work on personal development.

Question 1: Is it any different for personal development or should I still not work on personal development for more than 40 hours a week?

Question 2: If i've spent a lot of the day working on personal devleopment, reading books, introspecting, removing limiting beliefs etc, and then in the evening i spend my free time visioning, is this just more personal development and therefore causing me to be overworked?

thanks

If you like to do it, you shouldn't limit yourself. Just remember there is a fine line between not limiting yourself and forcing yourself to achieve.

You need to find the balance yourself. There isn't some objectively right or wrong way to do personal development or career work. Take a look at your priorities and what goals you have set for yourself and find the balance between work and relaxation time. You can find out yourself where that line is of being overworked and design your life around that. You won't know until you do some experimenting, maybe try working 40 hours in a week. Do you feel burnt out at the end of the week? Do you find that you are not as focused during meditation or while contemplating or reading a book? Then maybe dial it back to 30 hours or 20. Or maybe you're mind is able to handle a lot of work, then crank it up to 50 or 60. 

You'll find what works for you in time. Just let it flow, you'll figure out the right path for yourself. 

thanks, but I guess what i'm asking is: if I spend all day taking notes on self improvement videos, introspecting, removing limitng beliefs etc, can i then do something like visualisaiotn or read a self improvement book in the evening, or would this just be more of what i've been doing all day?

I wouldn't be attached to the 40 hour rule 

Do as much as you need/want to/can handle 

Edited by Jacob Morres

Personally, I'd get burnt out if I were to continue to work in the evening. I like to work all day, then after I eat dinner, the rest of the night is time for myself. I watch TV, get together with friends, play basketball or soccer, and sometimes I will read a self improvement book or come on this forum or watch a self help video. During the day its focused attention and in the evening its lenient, whatever I feel like doing. 

On 21/06/2023 at 8:25 PM, rd5555 said:

thanks, but I guess what i'm asking is: if I spend all day taking notes on self improvement videos, introspecting, removing limitng beliefs etc, can i then do something like visualisaiotn or read a self improvement book in the evening, or would this just be more of what i've been doing all day?

We are all different and have different work patterns and needs. I would suggest you try it out and see what works for you.

For myself, i can work far more then 40 hours a week but that usually also means that i will burn out faster and need a holiday sooner then if i just work 40 hours a week.