pluto

Does Anyone Drink Rainwater? Or What Water Do You Drink?

8 posts in this topic

I been interested lately about water and especially rainwater. My auntie used to collect and drink straight from the tank for decades and she lived healthy until old age. Now i know its illegal in some states to collect it thank god i don't live in the U.S but i could see why. I have recently moved to a new place with a rain water tank and there is a clear sign saying rainwater "Do Not Drink" being the rebel i am i ignore it and drink it and my god it tastes Amazing, better than any bottle or filtered water i have come across. I decided to grab my PH and TDS(Total Dissolve Solids) meter and test the water, its 7.5PH Alkaline and TDS meter shows 0.17 - 0.25ppm roughly which shows very light and clear to my understanding. (Correct me if i am wrong)

Tap water and bottled water tastes like crap and have TDS readings of anywhere from 90 - 150ppm. Natural spring water i buy locally contains 0.55ppm roughly and is slightly acidic 5.5 - 6.5ph yet does taste great but not as light and as fresh as the rain. So why are they telling us not to drink this?

Yeah they can pick up contaminants in the air/pollution and what not but i doubt that's going to be anywhere near as nasty as whats in taps and drains and pipes/town water ect.. Anyways what do you think of this and what water do you prefer to drink.

Also what is the deal with Alkaline, Structured/Energized and other waters going on claiming they are the best to drink ? So much competition and claims but no one is really getting anywhere with this stuff, Purified water is nice sometimes but then you have to add minerals. My intuition is telling me rainwater is perfectly safe. What do you think?

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

You'd probably need to keep checking the pH after every rainfall, just in case.  I've never actually tried rainwater myself so I don't know what it'd taste like, however after some certain types of rainfall I'd get an acidic smell on my clothes.  Now maybe that's just the smell of wet clothes or something?  I never done any research into this.

Also depends how to collect it.  Make sure everything is clean.

Did your Auntie have any sort of filtration system set up?

Edited by Evilwave Heddy

2 hours ago, Evilwave Heddy said:

You'd probably need to keep checking the pH after every rainfall, just in case.  I've never actually tried rainwater myself so I don't know what it'd taste like, however after some certain types of rainfall I'd get an acidic smell on my clothes.  Now maybe that's just the smell of wet clothes or something?  I never done any research into this.

Also depends how to collect it.  Make sure everything is clean.

Did your Auntie have any sort of filtration system set up?

I knew she collected from her tank, i was very young at the time so i'm not too sure but i did have a glass today from the tap that is directly connected to the tank and it was very light and tasty. How would i go by installing a filtration system for drinking? It feels very pure on its own but if i am going to drink it as my main source or more often i think its a wise idea although the tank has its own filters but probably not for drinking.

I was just surprised how clean and light it was straight from the tank compared to other water. Would boiling work?

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

I'm not too sure how you'd go about installing one to be honest.

5 hours ago, pluto said:

I have recently moved to a new place with a rain water tank and there is a clear sign saying rainwater "Do Not Drink" being the rebel i am i ignore it and drink it and my god it tastes Amazing,

After thinking some more about this, I'd be careful drinking it.  There may or may not be chemicals in the rainwater.  If you live out in the country area, farmers might occasionally spray their crops with certain chemicals which will of course mix with the rainwater on its descent.  Just be wary is all. :)

If you live near factories I shouldn't try to drink it without filtering properly. Some forests die due to acidic  rain so it can be quite dangerous. Carbon filter will get rid of most color, smell and chemicals. You can buy a passive membrane watercan aswell to filter out microbes and organics.

On ‎14‎-‎3‎-‎2017 at 8:25 PM, Principium Nexus said:

If you live near factories I shouldn't try to drink it without filtering properly. Some forests die due to acidic  rain so it can be quite dangerous. Carbon filter will get rid of most color, smell and chemicals. You can buy a passive membrane watercan aswell to filter out microbes and organics.

Carbon filters wil filter out stuff but the carbon filter sheds his own polutants. The best filter you can use is a filter made of coconutfibers (they are for sale) Its a natural filter. For the rain water the way to go about it would be 1 wait for 30 min before collecting rain water. This way smog particles, dust ect can rain down. 2 Use a HDPE gallon jug. Use as filter a cheesecloth with is not bleached. Wash the cloth in rain water. than boil the cloth for5 min in rain water and rinse it after again with rain water. Use a big funnel put the cloth in there so it filters the rain as it comes down. If you use other filters it wil remove beneficial elements while adding its own toxic ones. Rain water taste the best the first 5/10 min. Its possible to get detox symtoms from it.

Protect it from direct sunlight because it will change its polarity to south.

One other thing you should collect rain water if there is a highway for plains in the sky near your house. To much kerosine....

You can store it cooled for a year it will not have oxidized minerals and will taste fresh.

O and dont use a plastic funnel it will seep metals use a stainless steel one.

And dont collect rain water from a roof, collect it in a free open space.

To get more rainwater you can get zipperbacks also from HDPE and hand them on line. Ater you can pour them in the jug tru the cloth.

I've never tried rainwater myself, but to my mind one should be careful with drinking it. It can contain chemicals, that are bad for our health. I drink filtered water from my Aquagear water pitcher. We have hard water at home and this filter does a really nice job. The taste is pure and light. No smell. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it. Bought mine on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Aquagear-Water-Filter-Pitcher-Chloramine/dp/B016LLLXJS/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Aquagear+Water+Filter+Pitcher+-+Fluoride%2C+Lead%2C+Chloramine%2C+Chromium-6+Filter+-+BPA-Free%2C+Clear&qid=1577155902&sr=8-1

I trink tap water. In my Town the quality is above the quality of mineral water. Imagine how baffled I was as a kid to learn that this is not normal!