zunnyman

Should I pursue a career going into Python?

8 posts in this topic

So I've recently made a few applications with Python with the help of ChatGPT, and my eyes went wide open. I instantly see all the amazing possibilities with Python that I couldnt see. I barely have any coding background, just a class I took 8 years ago that I barely remembered, but now I was able to build some really cool applications that if I check, are better than the most popular ones on google, because of the OpenAI API accessing language models, as well as ChatGPT coding it for me a lot. 

I've been in marketing for 8 years. My resume is pretty beefed up with marketing manager positions, director of commerce, at big companies. But I only worked like 4 months in each. But I put a company on there with 350k+ in revenue that I generated about 4 years ago. I guess Im trying to see if I should continue down the marketing path. I realize I dont really like marketing. But I do want a good paying job. I also dont like being a leader in companies. Ive done that before and its stressful. Im not a social leader. Though I do like leading on a cognitive level because I know Im smart, just not that social. 

I have a feeling marketing doesn't pay nearly as well as programming, nor has as good growth. Though this might be a fear. I didnt really try in the past. Now Im actually serious about my job pursuit. When Im serious I know I do well. 

My energy is moving towards programming. But I have no experience here. No good resume. Im sure the competition is high, but I know demand is high too, and the field is growing with AI growth, etc. Wanted to see any experienced person's thoughts and insights on my marketing vs. programming approach. Thing is I will be doing programming anyways, whether I get a job or not, for my business. But if I pursue programming for a job, then I will be 5 to 10x more aggressive with my learning here as it will be for my job and business. 

Any thoughts and insights appreciated if you can relate. 

@zunnyman Do whatever you find most interesting. No point doing something you don't like even if you're making more money in the short term. 

If you like what you do, and do it intelligently, you'll eventually find a way to make the amount of money that satisfies you. 

No amount of money is worth being unhappy.

10 minutes ago, Staples said:

@zunnyman Do whatever you find most interesting. No point doing something you don't like even if you're making more money in the short term. 

If you like what you do, and do it intelligently, you'll eventually find a way to make the amount of money that satisfies you. 

No amount of money is worth being unhappy.

Actually I should clarify .. 

I 110% agree, as passion is my long-term strategy for my decisions. 

But actually with this post I meant a short-term 6 to 15 month plan for just getting by financially until this business kicks off, so that I can support my passion based business. Im working on my business on the side, something Im deeply passionate about. But to do that effectively, I need a well paying job, especially because my cost of living is high (mistake on my part)

@zunnyman Please consider that in all likelihood you're kicking the can down the road. Your 6 month plan will turn into a year, then two years, then three, and you will end up doing what you like 5-10 years later than you would have liked.

Cut your cost of living. That decision to live luxuriously is most likely reversable.

That's my take based on this thread, I'm sure the reality of your situation is way more complex but please consider that you can have what you want now instead of slowly getting crawling there.

4 minutes ago, Staples said:

@zunnyman Please consider that in all likelihood you're kicking the can down the road. Your 6 month plan will turn into a year, then two years, then three, and you will end up doing what you like 5-10 years later than you would have liked.

Cut your cost of living. That decision to live luxuriously is most likely reversable.

That's my take based on this thread, I'm sure the reality of your situation is way more complex but please consider that you can have what you want now instead of slowly getting crawling there.

Damn lol you stated my situation. Past 8 years Ive been pursuing my non-passions always wishing I go all in to my passion. Really appreciate this wake up call. I can now see the fear in my post. Maybe an all passion strategy is always the best strategy, even if I have to make sacrifices. I'll reflect more on this. 

You should remember that you can learn programming in like 6 months for 4 hours a day or 1 year for 2 hours a day. That is enough to get an entry level position if you have a good portfolio and/or maybe some coursework in a bootcamp or online course to back it up. You can start learning right now, committing as much time as you can manage.

Once you get into the industry, it will be hard because you will no longer be an expert in your field and you will have to take that hit to your ego. It will be well worth it though. Because you are passionate about python but not marketing, you will grow to much greater heights than you have in the past 8 years. Keep in mind that this journey will be good in the beginning, good in the middle, and good in the end because even while you are a beginner, you will be perusing what you love and getting closer to your dreams. While your mind and ego will be in shambles from starting over and becoming a beginner again, your soul will be rejoicing.

Here is a bunch of guides on how to become a developer:

https://github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

yes

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?