soos_mite_ah

Mastery Question

6 posts in this topic

I am retaking the life purpose course and I know that I'm supposed to narrow it down to one zone of mastery/genius. But I feel like in order to master one thing, I would need to master many things. For example, if someone wants to be a master painter, they will need to master different types of paint, different forms and styles, and things like depth perception, proportions, and a variety of techniques. Another example is that if someone wants to be a master at business, they will need to get different expertise on various categories ranging from accounting, finance, marketing, sales, leadership, etc. I'm pretty sure things can get even more complicated if you find a niche where two or more very different things combine. 

Where would you draw the line between trying to master too many things and "dabbling" vs trying to master various things that contribute to mastering one thing? 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

@soos_mite_ah I think purpose is supposed to be aspirational and expansive in its meaning. For us to ascend and progress ourselves requires something abstract, a vision of expansion itself. I don't think people find significance in living in a vision that offers them no escape or one of inhibition.
When deliberating over the logic and understanding, considering "why?" we must pursue one potential ought/ should over another, the most we can plan for having an actual living present-moment reality is a care for higher living, higher consciousness, higher, truer, realer self.
The seat of the mind, our will and identity has a way of adapting and integrating many points at once, converging together in favor of underlying unities and undifferentiated wholes. The dissolution of ego boundaries and reality structures in a state of melted ecstasy.
It's the Gnostic conception of Pleroma. That's the concern for what's right & good living we all want. As it says in the book The One Thing, "what starts out linear becomes geometric."

i think this might be too theoretical of an answer- but i say you just figure it out along the way

based off the circumstances you just intuitively drop what's useless and what is useful and based on new information you iterate your formula of success

like as you pursue a goal for example -maybe it's to build a business that makes 10k/month 

so maybe say - you might determine that marketing + supply chain is important for a building a product line business on amazon (from your research of business)

but then as you pursue that and you want to scale you realize that, what's important is also leadership skills (for outsourcing), better supply chain, much stronger marketing skills

you just refine and refine and refine that breakdown of what you need and require with new/more information. you never know what that exact breakdown is - ime you have a rough breakdown and then adapt to new and more information

Edited by Jacob Morres

Seems like you are already trying to see the finish line before you even took the first step. The thing you choose is likely to keep changing. Just start taking action and in time you will learn which skills you need to master and which you can outsource. 

By doing the thing that makes the most sense to you you will naturally gravitate towards the important activities while cutting out the ones that can go. 

To give you a personal example, I've recently made a decsion to outsource a large chunk of design work to a designer so that I can liberate more time for my core activities that I want to master. I generally suck at design and havign someone else do it for me who is better and more creative will generate better results anyway as long as I can afford them. 

Just take the first steps and with time, the question will be answered to you 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

You can also use the pareto principle - the 80/20 rule

Of all of those subskills you mentioned, 'which are most relevant/important to achieve X?'

And see what comes up 

Edited by Jacob Morres