Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fanta

Spiral Dynamics from evolutionary standpoint - what function does the levels serve?

4 posts in this topic

Before I write, I just want to preface that I am sorry if I am not allowed to ask for help for a school paper.

I am studying in university to become a psychologist and we are about to write a paper in social psychology class. I have always been into spirituality and I have been really interested in spiral dynamics since I first was introduced to the concept from Leo.

The paper will be termed "Why do we get cultural clash from multiculturalism?"

The main theory will be spiral dynamics where I will talk about it´s background, empirical method and theory, and tie it to under-categories of social thinking, social influence, social relations and group processes. What I think is really relevant for the paper is to explain what purpose the different levels of development serves for our species. Why do we go through the different levels? Why is it adaptive for human as a species and in an evolutionary standpoint? What is it´s function?

Is there any source about this that would work in a empirical written paper?

I would appreciate relevant topics I could discuss in the paper that is tied to social psychology. 

The next stage helps you survive better. When everyone is Biege, being Purple gives you more coordination and allows for division of labor and efficiency. Being Red in a Purple environment allows you to secure more resources for yourself and your close peers.

Leo explains this in the main video of the spiral dynamics model. It's worth a rewatch.

Just like evolution went from atoms to molecules to cells...; from fish to mammals to humanoids; - humans evolve as well.

Spiral Dynamics tracks the evolution of humanity by way of their value systems - the stages are just different clusters of MEMEs (as opposed to genes, in biological evolution) that are distinct enough to be categorized as a "developmental stage."

The stages Spiral Dynamics tracks are quite robust though, as demonstrated eloquently by Ken Wilber. 

The colors correlate with anthropological, sociological, technological etc. developmental breakthroughs - they are a fractal of all dimensions of humanities evolution.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

@fanta

On 3/29/2023 at 9:52 PM, fanta said:

Before I write, I just want to preface that I am sorry if I am not allowed to ask for help for a school paper.

I am studying in university to become a psychologist and we are about to write a paper in social psychology class. I have always been into spirituality and I have been really interested in spiral dynamics since I first was introduced to the concept from Leo.

The paper will be termed "Why do we get cultural clash from multiculturalism?"

The main theory will be spiral dynamics where I will talk about it´s background, empirical method and theory, and tie it to under-categories of social thinking, social influence, social relations and group processes. What I think is really relevant for the paper is to explain what purpose the different levels of development serves for our species. Why do we go through the different levels? Why is it adaptive for human as a species and in an evolutionary standpoint? What is it´s function?

Is there any source about this that would work in a empirical written paper?

I would appreciate relevant topics I could discuss in the paper that is tied to social psychology. 

Be careful trying to biologically frame Spiral Dynamics here, it's just a grand modal of human cultural values over time, like with developmental psychology. Carl Young's student, one of them, released a book that tried to explain the Architypes in this scientific, rigorous and biological manner which completely missed the point of the metaphysics, epistemology and spiritual implications of the shadow aspects of the ego.