Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sugarcoat

Diaphragmic breathwork is transforming my life

5 posts in this topic

Two years ago I wrote a post here titled “"Spirituality" fell away spontaneously” . It’s about how my spiritual worldview collapsed. Basically I was meditating for around two years and during winter break in last year of high school I wanted to take it to another level so I did it for upwards 3 hours a day , and one night I very quickly became aware of how I was using spirituality as some emotional crutch and I quit it all cold turkey because it was “all in my head”.

Fast forward a couple of weeks ago, from my own research online I find science articles talking about how diaphragmic breathing could help abdominal distension because the diaphragm is linked to it. I’ve been struggling with distension for my whole life and it has been bothering me aesthetically so I start doing this very intense diaphragmic breathing daily upwards an hour.

It has helped my distension yes a bit, but oh my lord I genuinely feel like my entire world has been turned upside down but in a good way. It wasn’t my intention with it I’m not sure if it’s the breathwork but I started to reflect on it and I can’t see any other reason.

the past weeks have been one of the most dramatic internally for me in my life. Ive had several moments of these “insights” into my own personal psychology where I feel this release of tension in my whole being, as if my entire way of relating to reality has somewhat shifted or something. Aspects of the very core of my belief system and psychology has unraveled before my eyes and I’ve switched between crying in great sadness to deep brain fog to feeling like this  release in me and internal shift. Even the very reason for doing the practice (to improve my looks) has been challenged. For example, few days ago I was walking outside and I was in this mental fog (a very familiar state for me) and suddenly I just became aware and distanced myself from this mental pattern of mine and oh lord it felt like being showered in love in a way. 
Two nights ago, idk what that was but I was in my room stretching and I entered this state of flow or whatever: and when I tell you it was the most present and connected I’ve felt in my entire life ever ever, I was lowkey in shock. It was the state of flow that I’ve been fantasizing about in my life, I felt like it was one of the first times I was actually living in the present. There was no mental fog, and I felt like my room was sort of an extension of me and I felt safe in my own skin and everyhing was cozy and mysterious . 

I don’t really mind the explanation behind this, whether it’s spiritual or it can be explained scientifically using the brain. It doesn’t really matter all I know is that whatever is going on internally in me is amazing, I’m in awe yet also  terrified. I know it can sound very dramatic, and over exaggerated, and perhaps it is at times. but this is just how it feels from my perspective no matter if it fits some objective standard of “profound”

so to conclude,  from my personal experience active intense breathwork is more effective that traditional meditation where you just passively observe.

Edited by Sugarcoat

Damn that's crazy. Happy for you ^_^

I'd like to try this as well. What technique in particular are you using? Any resources (links) or tips?

It'd be much appreciated. 

@michaelcycle00

thank you!!! I just felt this urge to share my experience and I’m very glad you liked  it and I really hope you find some benefits if you try!

I used to do sitting meditation before where I would close my eyes and simply observe my breath without actively breathing. And while I do think it affected me, I feel this has been more intense internally. 

now I do upwards of 3 20 min sessions each day of diaphragmic breathing instead. I do them at different times during the day. 

As I said the purpose was to help with abdominal distension as I’ve read studies talking about the diaphragms involvement in abdominal distension (abdomino phrenic dyssynergia) and I do notice major improvement there, and other physical differences. I feel my core engaging more in everyday life and it feels lighter to breathe. 

I alternate between three versions. 

1. Stand up straight. Pelvic floor aligned. One hand on stomach one on chest. Stare blankly out of my window.  One major difference for me was that I used to do belly breathing my  but then I found this video below where he explained how you wanna expand the ribs to the sides instead. This feels veryyyyy different. So when I breathe in I try to bring my breath straight down so my ribs expand to the side so I’m not only expanding belly forward. 
I inhale through my nose as deep I can without raising chest (this alone can take around upwards of 15 sek), then I exhale as hard as I can through mouth feeling my abdominals engaging. I do it in this slightly over exaggerated way where my breath becomes shaky at the exhale which might not be necessary.

link ( skip to 2.46 - 3.47 where he talks about the belly breathing)

2. Then another version. I do the same thing but on the floor staring at the roof with my knees on my couch like  the attached image at the end (hands in the same way as before)

3. then I do this 

0984AC84-C861-4C2D-A08C-06DA2FA5CA22.jpeg

Edited by Sugarcoat

Am i allowed to say "i told u so?" ? 

Of course spiritual practices have value. Unlike what neo advaita says.

Btw, i think u'd benefit even more if u did proper kriya/pranayama from a legit source/teacher. But congratz on the results anyways ?✌

Edited by Salvijus

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

On 2023-03-14 at 1:31 PM, Salvijus said:

Am i allowed to say "i told u so?" ? 

Of course spiritual practices have value. Unlike what neo advaita says.

Btw, i think u'd benefit even more if u did proper kriya/pranayama from a legit source/teacher. But congratz on the results anyways ?✌

Perhaps you could. 

I don’t do what I wrote about anymore, but you’re right. I’ve been way too independent and detached for so long I need some input from others I think