CARDOZZO

Become a Digital Renaissance Man

40 posts in this topic

Dan Koe is an entrepreneur, writer and youtuber who talks about creativity, skills, 1-person-business, self-development.

Here's a vision for people who want to combine different skills to thrive in a business-creative path.

Modern Skills + Evergreen Skills + Life Experience + Personal Interests = Profitable Problem

Eternal Markets: Health, Wealth, Relationships, Happiness.

Evergreen Skills: Marketing, Sales, Writing, Speaking.

Edited by CARDOZZO

A very worthwhile video, therefore I want to thank you for sharing as it should be rewarded to share good Information. I did not know Dan Koe before.

I watched only the first video, but I'll watch the second in an hour or so. Then I report on this.

I think Dan Koe is also an interesting case study in himself (How he structures his paid Businesses around his social media) as he is basically teaching a paradoxical pyramid scheme: His Biz is to teach Biz. Paradoxical, because this isn't scalable, however this advice can be used on other Business Ideas. So it depends on you as a Practitioner.
By the way I assume the age of the pyramid-scheme-business-teachers on Youtube (and eventual successors of youtube) will never and fully end, but the blossom of it ended, as it is too obvious. Too much competition (or you need to specialize ruthlessly). Not to say that a few people can still get really rich by preaching basic self help, you can get really rich by being ignorant on television, and so in THAT comparison is preaching basic self help on youtube still good. I don't want to trash anything, I'm just pointing things out ;) 

However I want to add nuance to something you wrote:

On 3/5/2023 at 8:04 PM, CARDOZZO said:

Modern Skills + Evergreen Skills + Life Experience + Personal Interests = Profitable Problem

THE SOLUTION to a Profitable Problem (which is in some domain of the eternal markets) = Modern Skills + Evergreen Skills + Life Experience + Personal Interests

Screenshot from 2023-03-07 11-22-18.png

For example if have the problem that I want earn my money with a solo-business which makes people healthier, I do something like this:
1. Assessment of Skills: Do I have well enough developed Evergreen Skills? If no, I earn them. Then do I have well enough developed Modern Skills? If no, I earn them.  Then do I have well enough Life Experience? If no, I earn it. Of course one will have to learn more later in the process, but as a prerequisite you can't skip that phase.
2. Brainstorming: What Profitable Problems align with the other Quadrants above? I get a list.
3. Write a Business Plan. I should see which gaps I need to close. Do I need more Capital or Skills or do I need just more time to do this? etc.
4. Make the first plan and execute until it fails and go through the process for another iteration. If the Problem is good and I am on board with it, it'll stay.

Let's see if the second video changes my mind.

Edited by supremeyingyang
correction

Halfway through the video, also worthwhile. Comment in Detail after I'm done. I have no 2 densely written pages of notes.

@supremeyingyang Wow, amazing dude! 

You're literally serious about business. 

To be honest, I really resonate with Dan Koe because of his unique style of mixing philosophy, art, self-actualization and business (same as Leo).

He said in one video that he watches Actualized.org

I'm studying his business model as well and watching the videos ;)

I appreciate your POV's :D 

Ok, here is my study.

Koe is a Generalist and gives a bunch of sound advice I think could either come from "Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World" by David Epstein or some of Epsteins sources. Basically it's like this: Everything changes quickly, so it's a gamble to train 1 skill to uber-master-level like these stereotype chinese Parents, who force their children to play the Violine for 8 a days since the age of 3. Maybe you are very good, but in all other aspects you will lack severely. What if one skill, say programming in a specific way only a few can so, is made easy via AI? Then you are f'd, except you can change. Koe argues that it is smarter to have a wide skill repertoire, to be a jack of all trades early and specialize later. You become a master of learning new skills and compounding them. Sounds familiar...

Screenshot from 2023-03-07 17-40-08.png

It's both a smoothing story for someone seemingly wasting his 20s dabbling AND the real alchemy: You use the bits and bites and combine them into something new. Koe is smart for phrasing it like this because many can relate!!!  I find it interesting that he sacrificed grades for private learning, that's so me. Generally I made a lot of meta-notes on how he does it, I need to rehash them before releasing them here. What do you think he makes good or bad, @CARDOZZO? For example I find it weird how haunted he looks, like if he drank 6 cans of energy drink and has not ate in 2 days, lol. It made me almost reject the videos to be honest (which would have been sad).

We find this, for example, in Robert Greenes Book 'Mastery', there was even an Interview on that book (i searched for 5 Minutes, but couldn't find it) where Greene says: 'I don't want you to think about any time in your life as wasted time'.

Anyway, from what I gathered Dan makes the process more straightforward. He says one has to study in this Sequence in order so become a solo capitalist (can we please not the filthy E. word??):

Screenshot from 2023-03-07 13-06-51.png

Here are the skills (the both top Quadrants):

1. Marketing & Sales
2. Writing & Speaking
3. Results-Oriented Skills (like Programming a Website)
4. Personal Interest Skills (like Nutrition)

For examples you make a Webapp for learning about Nutrition and market his via 1. + 2.

Let's go into some details:

1. Marketing & Sales. So what is Marketing & Sales? Leveraging human Psyche to make exchanges of goods happen. You need to give the Customer a value, via a medium with a result-oriented skill.

Screenshot from 2023-03-07 13-08-44.png

Screenshot from 2023-03-07 13-12-01.png

Until we are there we leverage our time to make a follower ship in social media to have enough eyeballs on you when you are really into business;)

2. Writing & Speaking. Then he talks about Communication, you need to make it successful. That is only your Job

3. Results-Oriented Skills (like Programming a Website). Ordinary learning, no need to go much into this here.

4. Personal Interest Skills (like Nutrition). These are here do give the content our product or brand flavor. There are 10.000.00 People teaching math, but maybe no one who does it with a solid hip hop background using rap metaphors without sounding cheesy.

1 hour ago, CARDOZZO said:

@supremeyingyang Wow, amazing dude! 

You're literally serious about business. 

To be honest, I really resonate with Dan Koe because of his unique style of mixing philosophy, art, self-actualization and business (same as Leo).

He said in one video that he watches Actualized.org

I'm studying his business model as well and watching the videos ;)

I appreciate your POV's :D 

No, I have to thank you for posting this. I too believe he is heavily influenced by Leo Gura, which makes much sense, I always suspected that there would come a time where former students of Leo Gura emerge and reign supreme over the mediore landscape of the Internet.

Can you recommend any other video? I'm sick at home, unable to work but to healthy to sleep all day and I could leverage my time with another video. If you can't recommend one, I pick a random one. By the way, I taking the advice and posting now one Twitter systematically for the first time in my life.

Thanks again for the praise, have a nice evening :)

correction

@CARDOZZO  Which is your starter social media platform of choice?

correction

@supremeyingyang Great points.

19 hours ago, supremeyingyang said:

What do you think he makes good or bad, @CARDOZZO? For example I find it weird how haunted he looks, like if he drank 6 cans of energy drink and has not ate in 2 days, lol. It made me almost reject the videos to be honest (which would have been sad).

Yep, i think he's hustling a lot to put his brand out there, makes sense. He seems tired, but that's it, working a lot to build something is meaningful. 

19 hours ago, supremeyingyang said:

Can you recommend any other video? I'm sick at home, unable to work but to healthy to sleep all day and I could leverage my time with another video. If you can't recommend one, I pick a random one. By the way, I taking the advice and posting now one Twitter systematically for the first time in my life.

Visit his website. He has a free course on generating ideas. Also, this one is great:

@CARDOZZO

I don't use anything from Meta ever again, I thought about LinkedIn, Github and my own website as well (I had a wordpress page, but I hate that I can't change anything, so I took it down)

@supremeyingyang Go ahead bro! :D 

Instagram is great because of Reels and a lot of other things.

Think about platforms as resources to reach people and help them, that's it.

3 minutes ago, CARDOZZO said:

Instagram is great because of Reels and a lot of other things.

It is, no question. But for me it's a principle and you gotta have principles. It can be the best in the world, if it violates privacy like Meta it can go to hell. Also if I look at my friends with IG they get quickly drawn into a lot of BS.

However, if nothings works I would do a simple channel only for getting traction which I can translate to another channel and then drop IG.  But for now I feel like I have a bunch of other options left.

@supremeyingyang Understood.

1 hour ago, supremeyingyang said:

However, if nothings works I would do a simple channel only for getting traction which I can translate to another channel and then drop IG.  But for now I feel like I have a bunch of other options left.

That's a good strategy. 

You can just switch to another channel after growing in IG.

Circle.so is amazing also! 

Edited by CARDOZZO

22 minutes ago, CARDOZZO said:

Circle.so is amazing also!

Seems backwards to make a subscription to build a follower ship. Something that a company like this
Screenshot from 2023-03-08 16-08-41.png

(from circle.so) would do, but you and I, we are so quick and agile like Che Guevara in the South-American Rain-Forest -- and if we are clever, we won't get shot but while doing it. Now as I think about it Che Guevara build a follower ship w/o the tool, see, proves my point.

But maybe I'm too ignorant. What is the point of circle.so?

2 hours ago, supremeyingyang said:

But maybe I'm too ignorant. What is the point of circle.so?

@supremeyingyang Growing a community.

It’s like a Discord 2.0

14 minutes ago, CARDOZZO said:

@supremeyingyang Growing a community.

It’s like a Discord 2.0

That does not solve the problem that one needs to somehow form a community before one needs a space, I fact it makes things more difficult as people need to sign up before they can join

correction

Dan's videos are great- also stumbled across his channel recently.

@thepixelmonk Yeah, I personally like his style of mixing philosophy, art, self-actualization and business.