Jodistrict

Problems with Western Buddhism

5 posts in this topic

This is an interesting and well written article written by a young person raised by American Buddhist parents.  She explains why Western Buddhism is not so benign as people think and why she left.

For those here who were raised by Buddhist parents, do you agree with this?

https://slate.com/human-interest/2023/02/what-it-was-like-to-be-raised-by-american-buddhists.html

Vincit omnia Veritas.

@Jodistrict lol the part with the monk kissing them on the lips was funny.  At least he didn't try to molest them.  

Sounds to me like the parents were probably well-intentioned but a bit crazy.  The parents had a problem embodying the teachings and probably tried to inject and project too much onto them.  
Kids don't listen to you; they observe how you act and become both your light and your shadow if you don't address them.  

I grew up in a Buddhist household that wasn't too much into it.  All of my siblings were never into it.  I was the only one interested and read books because I wanted to.  I took the saying, "If you see the Buddha, Kill him" literally and stopped reading books, and listening to lectures, and strived towards obtaining the thing no monk, no teacher, no anything can give you.  Eventually, I killed the Buddha.  

Buddhism in the United States takes on the characteristics of a religion. It cannot be a cult, as it supports love and brotherhood, peace and tranquility. It is the nature of religion that it loses the primary narrative, and turns out to be a framework for accumulating power and respect and controlling the masses. Karl Heinrich Marx said that "religion [...] is the opium of the masses"

6 hours ago, Rahra said:

Islam is the closest to Truth.

How do you know? That assumes you already know what the Truth is. 

All of a religion is a fool following a fool. All of religion is an authority game of making you believe there are other enlightened beings. There is only the Experiential field of consciousness right now.

All religions have their assumptions. No Buddhist ever seriously considers that the Buddha and Enlightenment is a hallucination of their own mind.

Edited by r0ckyreed

All Teachers and Teachings are delusion. You have all the answers within you. The first step on the journey to Enlightenment is questioning all the beliefs and teachings you have ever received. Teachers/Teachings are a distraction/maya at the highest level. There comes a point where you need to trust in your own innate knowledge and derive your own insights into the nature of reality. Teachers make a living and lifestyle of selling you water by the river. You don’t need them. All you need is an insatiable desire for truth and then seriously contemplate reality and uncover all that is false.