Tyler Robinson

Borderline personality disorder and premature death

23 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, Subtlety said:

That's exactly what truth appears to be to the deluded.

If people with BPD knew the difference between truth and delusion we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

On 05/02/2023 at 2:04 PM, flowboy said:

@Gesundheit2  lol, this is not about me I don't have BPD.

Yes, someone else's words can hurt someone with BPD more easily, that does mean they have work to do.

Classifying them as inherently selfish is unhelpful.

The reason they are more sensitive is because their system is overloaded with emotional pain.

Not from your thoughts and words, but from their childhood.

With that amount of overload of chronic emotional pain, they are going to be sensitive and selfish, like anyone else would who is always in a large amount of pain, be it physical or emotional. Hence the thumb screws example.

On 06/02/2023 at 11:49 AM, flowboy said:

@Gesundheit2  Good example of the harsh, unfeeling, unempathetic attitude that I'm saying mental health professionals shouldn't have.

What you write seems to be from a place of evaluating who's wrong, who to judge, whose fault it is.

You can do that, it doesn't interest me very much but you can run that mental experiment if you want.

My thesis is that mental health professionals / authorities should not have that attitude.

Look for who's wrong all you want, I'm just not speaking from that perspective because I don't see the point.

The situation is what it is, people are what they are because of what happened when they were developing.

From that perspective, indeed, personal responsibility falls away but healing opportunities open.

I agree that people have their personal responsibility to "do the work", seek out therapy and do it, yes.

Can I put responsibility on them to not be a certain way? To not react emotionally to this or that?

I'd love to, but it just makes no sense. These impulses come from a place that is prior to will.

Do you think this applies only to BPD or does it include people who are experiencing mental disorders in general?

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

@Gesundheit2 People experiencing mental disorders in general, I would say.

I expect a deeply empathetic attitude from mental health professionals tasked with treating them, the video in this topic didn't meet my standards for that. The kind of empathy that can only come from having done deep trauma work on oneself.

It's a bit tricky because some of the behaviors that come with mental disorders can be extremely troubling to regular individuals who are not in a therapeutic relationship with them, and if they have judgments and lack of empathy towards that, that's only a natural part of being a human I'd say.

Part of our difference in this topic could come from that distinction in the nature of the relationship.

I've recently interacted with someone with BPD through another forum and I found it to be an upsetting experience and had lots of judgments.

So I'm warming up to your point of view a bit more.

If you're trying to hint that I got quite triggered by unbalanced behavior this morning, therefore I'm not setting a good example of the standards I preach, I see your point sir ;)

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/