John Paul

Should we manipulate children?

54 posts in this topic

For the benefit of humanity as a whole: should we manipulate children? For what reason would it be beneficial to the human race as a whole to manipulate a child?

@John Paul Examples?

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Thought Art Any manipulation, any scenario

A manipulation meaning trying to convince (the kid) to change what they would have done naturally.

@John Paul Because kids are dumb 

◭"89"

@John Paul Because if you don’t:

1. Educate 

2. Indoctrinate

3. Teach

4. Correct

your kids, they end up fucking up society. If a kid is “manipulated” in ideally healthy ways they end up useless morons who can’t read, or contribute to society. Obviously there’s a balancing act there for kids. How much do you manipulate? How much do you allow it to flourish in its own unique way? 

◭"89"

@Thought Art

how will they fuck it up?

what is an ideally healthy way? 

how much would you think to manipulate? Versus flourish 

@John Paul idk man, go buy a book on child studies 

◭"89"

Just now, Thought Art said:

@John Paul idk man, go buy a book on child studies 

If I wanted to buy a book on child studies I would have done that instead of posting in this forum.

@John Paul Others will reply perhaps. List out a few answers to your own questions. There got to be at least a few examples you can think of… like eating ice cream and cake for breakfast? 

The reason I say to read some books is simply due to the information density I am intuiting on a reasonable response to them. There’s already this finely written out you don’t need some asshole on a forum doing it.

◭"89"

2 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

@John Paul Others will reply perhaps. List out a few answers to your own questions. There got to be at least a few examples you can think of… like eating ice cream and cake for breakfast? 

The reason I say to read some books is simply due to the information density I am intuiting on a reasonable response to them. There’s already this finely written out you don’t need some asshole on a forum doing it.

No because I’m hinting at not manipulating at all. No parenting book does that. 
yeah let em eat cake for breakfast… so what. Does forcing them to eat vegetables help humanity at large?

@John Paul I mean, like I said these things are complicated and to really look at them from a critical thinking point of view I would have to take some of these questions and do a lot of self reflection on my biases and assumptions, then I’d have to collect some data and do some research etc. 

but, My surface intuitive response is that a child is not an expert in their own development. A child needs guidance because he knows very little about the world. 

Can you think back to something that you didn’t want to do as a kid, but are glad your parents made you do it? Or something your parents tried to make you do that you didn’t that you now regret?

◭"89"

@Thought Art me personally, no. But I don’t have a healthy parent-child relationship with either of my parents so I might not be the best person to ask.

@John Paul Interesting. Some parents aren’t that developed themselves and are port parents. There’s many factors at play in what we are discussing I hope you can see it.

◭"89"

3 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

@John Paul Interesting. Some parents aren’t that developed themselves and are port parents. There’s many factors at play in what we are discussing I hope you can see it.

Yes, I can see it. That’s why I’m posting :P 

and yes… parents all over the world are not “developed”

@John Paul Sorry if I seemed jerk like here. I’m still working on my communication. Till later

◭"89"

@John Paul Is becoming a good parent something of interest to you?

◭"89"

@John Paul I’d like to understand you better 

◭"89"