Durka_Durka

Help With Journalling

5 posts in this topic

I'm here to ask how to journal. I have no idea how to properly do it. I've been told "just write" but it seems aimless and strange. But I really need the benefits that it supposedly helps to give, the main one being emotional stability as you are able to cathartically express everything and get it out. 

I had a break-up about 6 months ago from a girlfriend who I absolutely adored and she left me because she became seriously depressed with her life in general. I am still struggling with it, even though I am much better than I was, I was doing really well until she got back in contact with me a few days ago and everything is just shit again. I don't even know what I want anymore, in general.

I just want to get everything out, how do you do journalling?

i've been doing journalism for a few months now, and so far it's ben very helpful in making me more aware of my own problems. Not sure what advice would be helpful in your case. Way i see it, here's a journal. you can write about anything you want in it. doesn't matter how disorganized, or irrelevant, or halfassed the writing is. put whatever you want in it. and it doesn't have to be every single day that you have to write. just write whenever you feel like putting something that's bothering you on paper. Anyways, thats what helps me want to write  Lol. i take it with me wherever i go in case i have thoughts about something that i really want to write down before it gets lost.

Right now it might seem aimless and strange because you're still new to it, journaling in the beginning for me was about finding some resolution or understanding about myself, other's, the situation, in whatever way I possibly could, writing my view on things, how I feel, what I'm thinking, asking myself questions, problem solving.

In the beginning your gonna suck just like any new endeavor, but the more you just do it and do it and do it you'll get better and better. 

One of the most amazing benefits I found by journaling which by the way is just scratching the surface, is that whenever I felt like shit, whenever I felt even slightly emotional the solution became to journal. because every time I journaled I found some solution, I identified some emotion, I had some realization, some insight, and even when I couldn't get any solution I at least knew where my emotions were and that was massively important.

As for your ex problem, that's another issue a very good system to use is this --> 

Take whatever information you can from this, this guy has a very good mentality going through the breakup phase. also check out leo's videos

Memento Mori

@Durka_Durka i use apps that help me journal, conscious, stikk.com,master in 10K, Freeletics as well as I have a diary to journal, evernote too really essential tools. 

I started journaling by making a commitment to journal for at least a year. There is a specific format that I use every week which includes daily notes, goal review and sometimes additional thoughts and new plans/goals. I post once a week. What helps to follow through is leaving very short notes throughout the week (like main events, emotions, insights). Then on Sunday (or sometimes Monday) I sit down and elaborate on my experiences. I try to make it easy to read (for others as well as for myself) and also make it useful. I do not journal just because it feels good (and it does not always feel good). My aim is to stay on track with my goals and after a year I will sit down for a serious review of the progress which will result in making plans for the next year. 

Also, do not overthink it. Just try journaling. There are plenty of journals in this forum, just go through and find the format that you can relate to. Good luck!