Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UpperMaster

How important is SPEED and urgency in life?

8 posts in this topic

I'm familiar with the advice, "don't rush things" and "build a good base", but recently I've tried doing the opposite. I approach everything very much in the mindset of how fast can I do this.  

I can't even say if I produce work with decreased quality, in fact I think I create the same if not better quality work because I skip all the extra bullshit I used to do when completing a task.

Intelligent people are rewarded because they learn things and achieve things faster.

To what extent can I take this mindset? Are there any huge limitations?

How important is it to approach things with speed and urgency?

Edited by UpperMaster

In general, I'd be less inclined to rush things that have long-term implications or serious consequences.

If you fold your laundry in a hurry and it's a bit messy, it's probably fine.

If you rush doing your taxes and make a big mistake, or if a doctor rushes through seeing a patient and misses a cancer diagnosis, the effects are more severe.

You have to look at everything on a case-by-case basis. There's not much benefit to making a generalized statement on rushing.

I will say that lot of that "extra bullshit" is there to make sure things get done in a consistent way or to avoid errors. You don't realize why it's necessary until it prevents a mistake.

It might seem like you're saving time by reading extra fast. But it'll cost you more time if you read too fast to comprehend it properly, and need to come back to it multiple times.

You might be able to get away with skipping safety precautions or removing safety guards to make things easier when using a table saw. You might do it hundreds or thousands of times without facing any consequences, and it'll save you a lot of time in the short term, but eventually you'll lose a finger if you do it long enough.

Rushing tends to lead to carelessness, and carelessness is what can cause really disasterous results in many areas of life.

I think pace is very important. Not necessarily fast pace or slow pace, but the understanding that pace matters and that you should try to Intuit what pace best suits your situation. Also being able to distinguish between good pain and bad pain (like at the gym) is good for identifying if your pace of growth should remain the same, increase, or decrease. Too much growth too fast will lead to breakage or overexertion. 

But a lot of the time we can go faster than we imagine. Often time pain makes us grow faster for some reason. Possibly because it ignites the flame of desire for healing. Going too slow is a bigger problem than going too fast in my opinion...imagine sitting for 50 years doing vipassana and never having an awakening...when you could have just devoted 5-10 years becoming strong enough to get comfortable with 5meo and having more powerful awakenings you could ever achieve. But if, at any point, "faster growth" starts to replace "consistent growth" rethink your strategy. Consistency and rhythm are very powerful weapons

Edited by Aaron p

4 hours ago, Judy2 said:

@UpperMaster experience/wisdom will tell you9_9you gotta strike the right balance here. in some cases it's good to take things slow, in others it's good to speed things up.

looks like at the moment speeding things up works great for you (at least in the area you are referring to above), so i'd suggest you keep doing that until something makes you change your mind. then you can re-evaluate your strategy.

Well yea I can definitely imagine situations where I should takes things slowly. I think what you outlined here will be my approach

1 hour ago, tessus said:

Just do it

Yes. That's what I'm doing much better using the strategy/mindset shift

@UpperMaster

6 hours ago, UpperMaster said:

I'm familiar with the advice, "don't rush things" and "build a good base", but recently I've tried doing the opposite. I approach everything very much in the mindset of how fast can I do this.  

I can't even say if I produce work with decreased quality, in fact I think I create the same if not better quality work because I skip all the extra bullshit I used to do when completing a task.

Intelligent people are rewarded because they learn things and achieve things faster.

To what extent can I take this mindset? Are there any huge limitations?

How important is it to approach things with speed and urgency?

Another saying is 'haste makes waste' from an American president, and 'the slowest always wins the race' referring to the rabbit and tortoise.

Depends on the series of actions and whether your survival is on the line. Should I draw quickly many gestures and loose sketches of a dynamic scene? Should I take my time to detail the forms? Should I become faster in my waitress/waiter job because it's rush hour and there's a que forming? So many factors in the context to consider.

So, what conext is SPEED and URGENCY an important factor to YOU?

@Danioover9000

48 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

So, what conext is SPEED and URGENCY an important factor to YOU?

Mostly learning and accomplishing my goals.

Originally I believed that it is absolutely necessary to take an absurd amount of time to learn and accomplish anything to create "quality work". This seemed to be a sort of self deception technique to stay complacent.

I'm not saying sacrifice all quality and speed-run through life. I'm saying have a strong sense of urgency, try to do things relatively well but be fast, focus on actually completing the task.

Example: Lets say you selling products online

Scenario A:

1. Research best ways to sell product

2. Design website for 2 weeks

3. Design logo for a week

4. Ask friends and family if design and logo good

5. Get stock

6. Legal papers to make things "official"

7. Create Instagram and post some good pictures of product

8. Advertise

Basically you spent a huge amount of money and time for something that you wont even know will succeed or not.

Instead if you cut the bs, just do things quickly.

Scenario B:

1. Research best ways to sell product

2. Simple yet effective website that implements all researched techniques

4. Organize stock via droppings

5. Advertise

Here, yes the quality is "lower" but you will know if your idea would actually work or not without spending so much money. Even if you get a small profit, profit will be reinvested and you can improve quality fast. You will have more actual useful experience, and learn faster.

I hope you get my point