Adodd

Mental toughness

6 posts in this topic

What does it mean and how does one go about becoming mentally tougher?

Listen to the audiobook Can’t Hurt Me and actually follow what it suggests, and you are guaranteed to find a deeper answer to this question than what any of us here will tell you. It’s not just reading the book though. The book has 12 exercises which have to be worked on to develop this. If you follow through with them for more than a month, you’re likely to find a level of mental fortitude you’ve never gotten to before. Just keep in mind that this path is serious, and you’ll probably burn yourself out. Even considering that, I think the lessons you learn about yourself and what you’re capable of will be worth the potential burn out. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

@Adodd i dont care what anyone says buth if you want to be mentally tough you HAVE to WORKOUT hardcore. No meditation or yoga practice wil do that for you. Whether it is lifting,boxing,swimming,bodywheight. Idealy you do both hardcore training and meditation.

@Manny that seems to make sense. I’ve recently started cold exposure and have high hopes. 

On 22/10/2022 at 10:50 PM, Manny said:

@Adodd i dont care what anyone says buth if you want to be mentally tough you HAVE to WORKOUT hardcore. No meditation or yoga practice wil do that for you. Whether it is lifting,boxing,swimming,bodywheight. Idealy you do both hardcore training and meditation.

Bullshit.

Go do any long meditation sit.

Seriously, go sit for 8 hours straight. I bet you’re not tough enough to do it. 

Same with an intense yogic practice.

These require mental toughness.

Now I do agree with you that intense exercise is good for developing mental toughness.

Personally I like rock climbing and jui jitsus because you’re so close to death in both of these activities. Very intense mental sports. That said I’ve also done marathons and those are amazing for developing mental toughness too. 

@Adodd mental toughness is simply one’s ability to be comfortable with discomfort.

Most people squirm at the very sight of discomfort. Others relish in discomfort.

Which do you think have a higher likelihood of being successful in life?

You develop mental toughness through exposure to uncomfortable activities.

Examples are intense exercise, cold exposure, saunas, hard conversations, psychedelics, etc.

All you have to do is consciously experience stressful situations to develop mental toughness 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

4 hours ago, King Merk said:

You develop mental toughness through exposure to uncomfortable activities.

And not just once or twice but continuously.