What did they announce ?

Death Sentence. 

Yeah, 100%

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

7 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

What did they announce ?

Life in prison. I didn't expect that, but, in my opinion, it's the right verdict.

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

@The Mystical Man oh I thought it was death sentence 

◭"89"

@The Mystical Man I think he deserves the death sentence. For the families and the victims…

◭"89"

5 hours ago, Thought Art said:

@The Mystical Man I think he deserves the death sentence. For the families and the victims…

I understand the suffering of the families but executing Cruz doesn't help them one iota.

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

And what's the point of keeping him in a cage for 60 years?

How does this benefit society one iota?

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@The Mystical Man So they now they must waste all that tax money keeping this guy alive? They might as well just do away with him. He obviously can’t be trusted in society after you know, brutally murdering 17 people. 

It probably does help the families because they at least gain a sense of justice that he was dealt with. Knowing he is still alive while their baby is dead feels like an injustice. Why does Cruz get to live after what he did?

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

49 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

How does this benefit society one iota?

It has to do with upholding the value of dignity. Besides, having a death sentence makes everything more complicated. Who deserves such a sentence under what circumstances? It's much easier and cheaper to keep people away from society until they die a natural death. 

@The Mystical Man He shot and killed 17 people 14 of them children. 

It’s not like he was just caught with a bit of weed.

◭"89"

4 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

So they now they must waste all that tax money keeping this guy alive?

As I have said, execution costs more than life in prison.

@The Mystical Man I also thought when you said dignity, that the parents and families affected by this would say not putting him to death shows a lack of dignity. 

I’ll have to look into the costs. 

◭"89"

12 hours ago, Thought Art said:

Why does Cruz get to live after what he did?

Eye for an eye? That's stage red.

Edited by The Mystical Man

@The Mystical Man Your dealing with a mass murderer. It’s not about eye for an eye but putting the whole thing to a nearer rest. If you kill 17 people, society should exterminate you. 

Also, to the extent that anything I’m saying has stage red qualities… we aren’t demonizing stage red. It’s a valuable stage like any other.

If someone murders 17 people, and there is 100% evidence they did it. I think the death sentence is reasonable. 

But, life in prison vs death sentence? Seems trivial almost. 

I am also still forming my opinion on this. 

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

1 minute ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Yes, I'm looking forward to having an exact repeat of the other death penalty thread . . .

:ph34r:

Human beings are petty revengeful creatures that would kill a "brain-damaged . . . broken" person because he performed a violent incidence of insanity that killed 17 people. This may sound extraordinarily unempathetic, but the families are acting irrationally when they say the right decision is death on this one. If a fully conscious person set somebody I loved on fire and killed them, I would kill that person using torture; so I perfectly understand the instinct to eliminate threats / achieve revenge (I don't understand it in a modern, civilized, legal context). I think in terms of modernity, civilization, and legality - though - the proper route is to experiment on him rather than eliminate him for no good reason. It's just a broken "cog in the machine" that you want to destroy, when you broke it in the first place. So it's reasonable to actually find a competent way of understanding and dealing with such mentally diseased humans - instead of being a hyper-emotionally compromised idiot that deals with everything by killing or that cries, "Waaa, I wanted the government to kill this mentally ill brain-damaged cog for me."

@AtheisticNonduality Interesting points. 

But, your sort of mocking people who had their children murdered.

◭"89"

12 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

@AtheisticNonduality Interesting points. 

But, your sort of mocking people who had their children murdered.

Yeah, well, deciding who's going to live or die is a very serious topic with serious ramifications, so concessions should not just be made to a group of people just because of how emotionally charged and volatile they are.