Wouter

Table Tennis And Enlightenment

3 posts in this topic

A few hours ago I had a mini insight that I would like to share:

Some context first :a  few years ago I (who plays table tennis) and a friend (who plays sqaush) where talking about our sport, and he said, "when I hit my most flashy strokes it is as if it's not me who does it, it just happens". And I totally agreed, it was something I also sometimes noticed. Flash forward to this evening: I was having a moment of genius strokes (for my level :p) and I watched to some other people and  noticed that "it is an assumption that I am actually doing the strokes". The moment after it I was slightly aware that I only see colours, no table tennis ball. After the mini-insight I could more clearly notice when this assumption (of a me doing the strokes) was present and when not. There seemed a big correlation between the quality of my strokes and the presence of the feeling "I" (inversely proportional).

Now that I think about this. Earlyer this week I noticed on a slightly deeper level (still not deep at all) that I only see colours, no objects. 

Am I making progress towards a first enlightenment experience?

What are some good questions to complete on now?

Edited by Wouter

@Wouter I agree, those are some good insights and direct experiences.

IMO, you just witnessed two activities of the mind - the creation of a doer out of events, and creation of objects out of qualia.

Doer and objects do not exist, except as ideas/concept/assumptions/illusion. You must have heard this many times. Now you know :)

At a deeper level there is an experience of actions of body and an experience of qualia (colors, sounds, smells etc). The rest is conjured up by the mind.

All the best !

My Blog : : Pure Experiences : : Pure Knowledge

5 hours ago, Wouter said:

Am I making progress towards a first enlightenment experience?

Sport has one very beautiful thing which I would like you to remember: it teaches you that it does not matter whether you are defeated or you are victorious. What matters it that you play well, that you play totally, that you play intensely, that you put your all in without holding back. That is sportsmanship. The others can be victorious, there is no jealousy; you can congratulate them and you can celebrate their victory.

All that is needed is that you are not holding back, you are putting all your energies into it.Your whole life should be a playfulness.

"You will be nearer to Heaven through football than through the study of the Gita." — that is one of the most popular quotes of Swami Vivekananda.