Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zooka

Balancing Survival and Experience Gain

9 posts in this topic

My experience is that I don't have nearly enough experience to really pin what my top values are and what I want to do with life. 

I'm also dealing with the challenge of setting up my own survival and leaving the nest.

So, in other words I don't got a damn clue what I'm doing. But I do have a few things I know. 

- I need to gain a lot more experience 

- I need to get a interim job or career to survive, (education if needed)

Obviously, finding a job or career that also exposes me to a lot of new experience would be highly beneficial. 

My questions:

• What should I be looking for/avoiding in a job or career? (bearing in mind I have no idea what I really want to do at the moment.)
  • What kind of jobs or careers are good for exposing yourself to a lot of experience and/or develop you in some meaningful ways? (including the education if needed.)
  • Any tips in general on balancing survival with gaining necessary experience?

Apologies if this topic is simultaneously vague, way too comprehensive and also takes way too much of your time. Perhaps It would be wise to just focus entirely on figuring it out for myself instead of seeking other perspectives and ideas? Well anyways, thanks for any replies. 

P.S if any of these questions have been addressed, would appreciate knowing what topic that was. 

Yes, I've had two jobs. I resigned from my last one due to health issues associated with the job itself. The first was with my dad, bad choice, never again haha. Both were good learning experiences though 

Glad you  are looking at them that way.  

I am also still setting up the foundation of my career. I have had many jobs since I dropped out of college, as a cook, barista, working at a gym, a grocery store, as backend for a subscription service coffee company, as a salesman at a jewelry store, even as a camp counselor. Its taken five years to solidify what my life purpose is, (To write music that connects people to the feelings and experiences of the authentic journey,) and to start schooling to build a solid foundation to build that future career on (Massage therapy.) I can confidently say that every job I have had, has been one piece of the puzzle. along with psychedelics and routines/habits I have put into place.

What I have realized through all that is that any chosen job, (with the right mindset,) brings growth opportunities, new experiences, skills, and insight into self. 

I would say look at what you are creatively drawn to and try to find work in that field, if nothing works, just get a job, any job, and go from there. 

"If the thing is not the thing, it will lead you to the thing."

Edited by Realms of Wonder

Music is Love in disguise.

Imagine a future where Self Integration, Exploration and Creation is  normalized and encouraged.

https://wakingcall.com/

@Realms of Wonder May I asked why you dropped out of college and what your plans to make a living are now? 

Don't wait for things to get better. Take proactive action.

Good questions!

Why I dropped out: Long story short, because it wasn't an authentic path for me.

I went to college because it was the easiest, most comfortable path I could think of, my girlfriend at the time was going, friends from highschool, it seemed like a way I could postpone maturing for a few more years.

Right as school started I tried weed for the first time, progressively using it more and more as a way to escape. I was not applying myself, I felt lost, depressed, scared, and I hated myself deeply and by the end of the first semester, I was already questioning whether or not college was the path for me, but it wasn't till the end of the next semester when I intuitively chose to drop out, because some part of me realized that it was not authentic, at a point before I knew authenticity was my top value. Oh yeah... and I failed most of my classes ?

Current Plans: Massage therapy as foundation career for building Musical Life purpose. 

I have always enjoyed massaging others, physical touch and feeling energetic blockages in the form of muscle knots, tension and trauma, I love helping others release that, its deeply emotional for many people, and can at times be related to trauma integration (Depending on modality of bodywork.) 

The funny thing is that I have known enjoyment for giving massage for over a 15 years, and many people have said, "You should be a massage therapist! You'd be great at it!" I would always brush it off, it seemed like so much work for something I wouldn't do forever. 

But a few months ago, I realized, that's what makes it so perfect! I go to school, license myself as a massage therapist, work in the field for 5-10 years, earning good money, working 25-30 hours a week while building up my music career! it gives me more freedom and fulfilment through creative impact in others lives. 

Thanks for asking :D 

Music is Love in disguise.

Imagine a future where Self Integration, Exploration and Creation is  normalized and encouraged.

https://wakingcall.com/

An idea would be to save up some money from any job and go travel. Expose yourself to massive amounts of experience and inspiring people and you'll get some ideas of what resonates and what doesn't. 

@Realms of Wonder Thanks! Glad you have a plan. Did you have this plan when you dropped out of college? Or did you drop and just tried to figure it out on the way?

And what were you studying in college if you don't mind me asking?

13 hours ago, Verg0 said:

inspiring people

@Verg0 How do you find inspiring people?

Don't wait for things to get better. Take proactive action.

@ThePoint  Depends on what you resonate with. 

I´ve met really great people at Rainbow Gatherings, Concious Communities, Temples, Conferences, specific Festivals or Psychedelic Retreats. Just to name a few.