Seth

Learning VS Being Creative

8 posts in this topic

I am looking for some advice on how to balance creativity and learning. What proportion of my time should be spent on original thinking (creativity) vs learning? I know the more I learn the greater my requisite variety will be and the more creative insight there will be but that also has to be balanced with the time that I spend doing the actual original thinking. Any thoughts?

Your deepest learning will come from being creative. So dive right in. Being in creative mode is far surperior to watching a video or reading a book because you are directly experiencing the situation.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Your deepest learning will come from being creative. So dive right in. Being in creative mode is far surperior to watching a video or reading a book because you are directly experiencing the situation.

@Leo Gura 

How do you be creative? 

What does being in creative mode have to do with directly experiencing the situation? 

When you say "be creative" are you referring to contemplation? Is contemplation a creative process? 

What should the ratio of learning and creativity be? 

For theory and practice, it's like 10:90, right? So what should it be for theory and creativity? 

Edited by ThePoint

Don't wait for things to get better. Take proactive action.

No, I am refering to working on some creative project you set for yourself. Whatever you want to build. Could be software, art, a business, or a coffee table.

Edited by Leo Gura

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

No, I am refering to working on some creative project you set for yourself. Whatever you want to build. Could be software, art, a business, or a coffee table.

@Leo Gura Okay. Still, is contemplation a creative process?

Don't wait for things to get better. Take proactive action.

@Leo Gura

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

The coffee table is back! Does it come with free Kopiko?

@ThePoint

7 hours ago, ThePoint said:

Technically no, contemplation is a process of deconstructing meaning from words or concepts in your mind. Slightly different to creativity and the creative process, at least to me because the process is tedious and boring ?

Something like brainstorming or word association, or other creativity increasing exercises are closer to developing your creative process. Maybe meditation is too, but not really contemplation, unless you really like questioning and listing them.

8 hours ago, ThePoint said:

Depends how you want to think of it.

Generally I don't consider it a creative process in itself. But it can an important part of your creative process, like if you're writing a book.

Edited by Leo Gura