Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kray

Thawing smoked salmon

5 posts in this topic

How should I thaw smoked salmon? Do I throw the whole pack from the freezer into the refrigerator, or do I throw the pack in some iced water? Just bought a pack for the first so I have no idea what to do, some suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

@kray I usually thaw it in fridge for a day or two...you can put it in water if you want to thaw it faster..  really no different than any other meat....

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Thawing in water. Don't use warm water. 

♡✸♡.

Be careful being too demanding in relationships. Relate to the person at the level they are at, not where you need them to be.

You have to get out of the kitchen where Tate's energy exists ~ Tyler Robinson 

5 hours ago, Inliytened1 said:

@kray I usually thaw it in fridge for a day or two...you can put it in water if you want to thaw it faster..  really no different than any other meat....

What do I do with the pack afterwards?  Can I put it back in the freezer?

Safest way to dethaw meat is in the fridge, but depending how thick it is, I find it can take a day or two. So it's only useful if you can plan that far ahead.

If you have a normal immune system then thawing in the sink and using it within a couple hours is probably not very risky.

I wouldn't refreeze any meat that's been fully thawed. Not because of bacteria or anything, but because it will ruin the texture. A bunch of cells will rupture again when they're frozen, and you'll lose a lot of moisture.

You can try thawing it under running water for a couple minutes, just enough that you can separate off the pieces you need, and then refreeze the rest before it fully thaws.

Smoked salmon will last 1-2 weeks in the fridge though, so unless you're buying a huge pack you should just be able to eat all of it in that amount of time.