Kksd74628

Lecture about disclipine

22 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Ulax said:

I actually agree with your explicit claim. However, I suspect that we understand the claim to mean different things.

I agree because having trauma isn't necessarily a barrier to becoming disciplined. However, I think for a significant amount of people if people try to become disciplined without healing their trauma then they will necessarily fail.

I agree because I believed everyone with trauma can become disciplined but this would only necessarily be true if they all healed their trauma. So, while all non-traumatised persons would need to do basic self-help to become disciplined, a significant amount of people with trauma would need to heal their trauma, and then do basic self-help to become disciplined. So you see that the process of becoming disciplined would require more from a traumatised person.

A significant amount of those with trauma will fail to become disciplined because of self-sabotaging parts. I use parts in the 'internal family systems' sense. A significant amount of people with trauma will have parts that will prevent the person from performing actions that contribute to success. Such parts are what I identify to be self-sabotaging parts. For example, if someone was bullied they may have a part that associates attention with danger. Success often is accompanied by attention. Therefore, that part seeks to avoid success as it sees success as dangerous. A disciplined lifestyle is a lifestyle cultivated to achieve success in a domain. It would follow that such a part would associate discipline with danger as well, and therefore resist such a lifestyle. Therefore, a significant amount of those with trauma will fail to become disciplined because of self-sabotaging parts

It's so good when people understand this. It makes me feel loved and not alone. Much different than the "you can do it" bs.

@Vibes I'm glad it provoked such a response for you

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback