SQAAD

Do You Need to Clean Your Mattress?

6 posts in this topic

Until today, i didn't know that cleaning your mattress was a thing that people do. Is this neccessary for health?

I have never done it and i am 29 years old. My parents and grandparents (some of which lived up to 87 years old with no major health issues) never cleaned their mattresses aswell.

From what i understand, there are some tiny organisms that live in the mattresses and can cause you respiratory issues if not removed. I have not suffered any ill effects thus far. I take care of cleaning sheets and etc. But cleaning the mattress i have not done that.

Edited by SQAAD

I do vacuum my mattress sometime, it makes me feel good seen all the filthy gone.

@TurquoiseAngel

13 hours ago, TurquoiseAngel said:

I do vacuum my mattress sometime, it makes me feel good seen all the filthy gone.

My mattress is new (1 year) and has no visible filth in it. Would you still vacuum it if you were in my position?

Also, i saw that some people use baking soda to clean their mattresses. You don't use it from what i understand. Right?

I never clean my mattress, never heard of anyone else who does. Just flip it every 6 months or so to avoid grooves forming from sleeping in the same spot every night.

I do have a mattress protector which is like a fitted sheet underneath everything else to prevent spills, allergens, bacteria from getting to the actual mattress. I should probably wash that occasionally, has never occurred to me haha. I might do that next time I wash my sheets now.

My guess is that some stuff is too small or lives too deep to even vacuum it out.

Almost everyone has eyelash mites. Almost everyone is breathing in mold and fungus spores, dust, etc constantly. Doesn't matter if you vacuum your bed, shower daily, use an air purifier. Maintain basic hygiene but don't overthink it or go too extreme with it or you'll give yourself OCD.

@Yarco

On 1/8/2022 at 6:23 PM, Yarco said:

I never clean my mattress, never heard of anyone else who does. Just flip it every 6 months or so to avoid grooves forming from sleeping in the same spot every night.

I do have a mattress protector which is like a fitted sheet underneath everything else to prevent spills, allergens, bacteria from getting to the actual mattress. I should probably wash that occasionally, has never occurred to me haha. I might do that next time I wash my sheets now.

My guess is that some stuff is too small or lives too deep to even vacuum it out.

Almost everyone has eyelash mites. Almost everyone is breathing in mold and fungus spores, dust, etc constantly. Doesn't matter if you vacuum your bed, shower daily, use an air purifier. Maintain basic hygiene but don't overthink it or go too extreme with it or you'll give yourself OCD.

Yeah i think it is kinda uneccessary to be honest. I assume we are very well evolved to handle all that stuff.

The best method to clean your mattress, is by pouring baking soda and then vaccuum cleaning it. This is how you get rid of the microorganisms that live in the mattress.

Haven't done it yet. A video i saw on internet, triggered all of this concern about cleaning my mattress.

Edited by SQAAD

I don't consider myself OCD but I think mattresses and cushions are disgusting ?.

You could also put it out in the sun and wind on nice days, even wash it with hose or powerwasher that feeds soap, aid drying with leaf blower. I've tried to figure out how to use a bunch of stacked knitted blankets, you can wash them in a washing machine, I'm okay with using that but company prefer a mattress ?

There's just so much area inside a mattress, seems like an ecosystem to me.

Edited by Devin