Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Craigxt22

Bloating, Gas, Gut Health

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am having issues with my gut health. I am bloated alot of the time, even in the morning and am passing more gas than usual. I need to use the toilet more often than usual. Some days I feel constipated, then other days it's the complete oposite.

My diet is clean, I eat very little processed foods, sugar etc. In fact, I appeared to have no issues with my gut health before I cleaned my diet up and drank alcohol etc.

Is fasting worth trying? If so, how long for? Does fasting allow the gut to repair itself and clear all the bad bacteria?

It might be a reaction to increasing fibre content. Your microbiota might be adapting. Reduce the fibre a little bit and once it becomes tolerable agains, start increasing again.

But if it seems unnatural it might also be reaction to high FODMAP carbohydrates which should be further investigated. 

Make sure not to fall for some shitty naturopathic tests like organic acids or some hair intolerance analysis... those tests are complete quackery.

Get a proper medical testing or just experiment with low FODMAP diet and see if it helps.

The Monash App os super useful for that.

Good luck

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Can you list exactly what you eat in a day? Even better keep a journal for a week of everything you eat, plus note when your gut health and bloating feels at its best or worst. Everything you put in your mouth, from salting your food or adding spices, to putting a little brown sugar on your oatmeal. Clean diet means different things to different people, so we need some baseline to make sure we're on the same page.

I'd probably start with an elimination diet and cut different things out one by one, and see if it has any impact. 

My guess is that fasting will provide temporary relief, but only because you stop eating something that you're slightly allergic to for a couple days.

I had a similar problem. Tried everything but it turns out certain vegetables like spinach were causing it. 

I now eat less vegetables and more fish, unprocessed meat, and liver. Problem solved.